Take Notes in Lectures: Tips & Strategies to Make the Most of Class Time

In summary, the professor writes down the notes and the students either print out the slides or bring them with them and listen to the lecture.
IjustlikeMaths
Hey,

do you guys take notes during lectures or do you just concentrate on the lecture itself and what the professor says?
The notes which the professor writes are uploaded to our learn-room on the internet. So I just listen during lectures and look up the script before the lecture so I know what he will talk about.

How do you handle it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I like to print the lecture slides (2x2) on sheets of paper and then I annotate them with any additional info as the lecture goes on.

Likes IjustlikeMaths
There's also some note taking apps like Notability on iPad that can record lectures while you are taking notes and to connect the note with specific points in the lecture (each scribble is connected to a timemark on the recording so that tapping on a scribble during playback immediately plays what was said).

However, you need to use these tools effectively by minimizing notes so you can focus on listening and then after the lecture filling in the notes from memory and by listening again to the recording.

I had a friend in high school who was phenomenal note taker. He did really well in history class but failed miserably in math class. In math he couldn't see the forest for the trees because he wrote down every equation and every graph and was exhausted from doing so. He missed the key thread of discussion because of it but couldn't break the habit of taking notes fearful that he would miss something.

In contrast, I was a bad note taker often not knowing what should be written down and what shouldn't. Invariably when I attempted to write something, I'd miss an important point. However in math class, I sat, I listened and then I did the problems using the book as a guide and did really well.

Sometimes I think we need to go back to the really old days where you listened, you learned and you took mental notes as paper and pencils were scarce to nonexistent. We need to strengthen our inner mental skills because that's what really matters. However, we know everyone learns differently and we need different tools to help us learn effectively with the trick being to discover what tools and methods work best for us.

Likes Wrichik Basu
CivilSigma said:
I like to print the lecture slides (2x2) on sheets of paper and then I annotate them with any additional info as the lecture goes on.

This is actually what I recommend my students to do (but I leave it up to them to do whatever they wish).

I usually upload my PPT slides of the lecture the morning of the lecture (I often make last-minute changes based on the class pace and/or students responses/questions). So the students do have the actual lecture presentation with them. I encourage them to either print the lecture presentation, or bring with them to class on their devices, and then pay more attention to listening to the lecture than writing things down. They should write comments or examples to enhance the presentation, including those that I show in class but not on the presentation (I usually work out examples on the board, because I want to show the students how to approach a problem from scratch).

Note-taking depends on the student AND how the material is presented. I do not see any single, general advice or technique that will work for every student in every situation. A lecture where the instructor presents the material the "old fashion" way of writing on the board is different than an instructor presenting it electronically.

Zz.

Likes CivilSigma, jedishrfu and Wrichik Basu

What are some tips for taking notes in lectures?

Some tips for taking notes in lectures include: actively listening, using abbreviations and symbols, organizing notes into main points and supporting details, and reviewing notes after class.

How can I improve my note-taking skills in lectures?

You can improve your note-taking skills in lectures by practicing, using different note-taking methods, asking questions and clarifications, and summarizing information in your own words.

Why is it important to take notes in lectures?

Taking notes in lectures helps you stay engaged and focused, increases retention and understanding of material, and provides a study guide for exams and assignments.

What should I do if I miss something in my notes during a lecture?

If you miss something in your notes during a lecture, try to catch up quickly by listening carefully and writing down key points. You can also ask a classmate for their notes or consult the textbook or lecture slides after class.

How can I make the most of my class time when taking notes in lectures?

To make the most of your class time when taking notes in lectures, arrive early to get a good seat, limit distractions, and actively participate by asking questions and taking breaks if needed.