Nothing can exceed the speed of light

In summary, relativity allows for some strange and counterintuitive ideas. According to this theory, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, but all motion is relative. This means that even if two beams of light appear to be moving at 2c with respect to each other, they are actually still moving at the speed of light. Additionally, if someone shines a flashlight and walks in the opposite direction, they may appear to be traveling faster than the speed of light relative to the light, but this is only because time is distorted to keep the speed of light constant. Overall, relativity suggests that everything in the universe is traveling at the speed of light relative to something else, and there may be ways to go faster than light
cdm1a23
Hi. I have a couple questions about relativity.

I hear that nothing can exceed the speed of light, but then I hear that all motion is relative. When one beam of light goes past another beam of light going in the opposite direction, aren't they moving at 2c with respect to each other? And if I shine a flashlight and walk in the opposite direction, aren't I traveling over c relative to the light? And when any light occurs at all, isn't everything else traveling at the speed of light relative to it?

If this is not correct, does relativity mean that nothing can travel faster than light from anyone reference frame's point of view?

How do you determine what an object's speed is? What is the ultimate reference frame for something's speed to be "relative to" because everything in the universe is traveling at c compared to something else?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Relativity works in weird ways. It's not as weird as quantum physics, but it leads to accurate predictions.

Suppose your friend is on a train passing by you at v, shining a flash light at you. You will see the light coming at you at c! As nothing can go faster than c, even light itself cannot violate this. But your friend on the train will argue that he is also seeing the light going towards you at c! The consequence of this is time dilation. He thinks your clock is going a bit slow and you think his clock is going a bit slow. The dilation will perfectly make up so that everybody will measure light at c.

Weird...

Does that mean that no matter what you are doing or what is going on, you will see light traveling at c, and someone else who is traveling at a different speed in a different way will see the same beam of light going at the same speed in the same direction?

cdm1a23 said:
Weird...
Does that mean that no matter what you are doing or what is going on, you will see light traveling at c, and someone else who is traveling at a different speed in a different way will see the same beam of light going at the same speed in the same direction?

Indeed. As I've said. The rule that the speed of light is constant in all reference frames is so divine that even time will bend to serve this rule.

hmm...

I have to digest this...

Thanks for the info... I'll be back on tomorrow if you or anyone else has any additional comments on any of my questions.

Thanks Again!

I'm not an expert or anything, but from what I understand:
Time is distorted to keep light at its speed, so If you were traveling the speed of light.. or near it in the opposite direction of another beam of light ... or any EMR for that matter.. then time would almost stop for you so that the beam of light would still be traveling at c. .. and if you could go faster.. then please let me know that the answer from #4 on is A on the econ test I took a few years ago.

Hummm, So what happens when I setting outside and I'm looking at the North star and I turn around as fast as can to look at a star in the south. Could I say that because everything is relative that I did not move but everything else did and if so would that movement not appare to FTL?

(along with above here is a copy of another post I had made)

You know I heard allot of this before and will I'm just not buying it. Why is everyone so quick to ftl is impossible. I see a one problem with Einstein theory. If mass changes with the speed of an object, then is mass a virable? With out know what interaction makes this happen I think it is a bit much to say FTL is not possible. If one day we find the cause of this change in mass it might be possible to change the mass of an object to nothing, Einstein own theory say mass is not a constain nor is time. Would this not mean once we have a better understand of both, that both time and mass could be changed to make FTL possible, or do we keep doing as we have been doing, and say everything impossible? Another good one, is the people who says there no way to get around gravity or there not antigravity, they are sure that it is impossible yet nobody know what cause gravity. How do you know it is impossible when you don't why is possible?

brookstimtimtim said:
You know I heard allot of this before and will I'm just not buying it. Why is everyone so quick to ftl is impossible.

There are "things" that certainly do go faster than light. A shadow for example is not restricted by the speed of light. Or shining a laser onto the moon and then quickly changing the angle of the laser we can make the beam on the moon appear to be moving faster than light. At the end of the day however nothing is actually going faster than light. There are many more such phenomena. Search google for "faster than light". The conclusion is, we are unable to communicate anything meaningful faster than light. That's what it really means.

cdm1a23 said:
Hi. I have a couple questions about relativity.
I hear that nothing can exceed the speed of light, but then I hear that all motion is relative. When one beam of light goes past another beam of light going in the opposite direction, aren't they moving at 2c with respect to each other? And if I shine a flashlight and walk in the opposite direction, aren't I traveling over c relative to the light? And when any light occurs at all, isn't everything else traveling at the speed of light relative to it?
Relativity says that nothing can have a velocity greater than that of light in a given reference frame, and likewise that light always travels at c in a given reference frame. But it is quite possible that, in a given reference frame, the distance between two objects whose individual velocities are less than c will be increasing at a rate greater than c--for example, if one object is moving at 0.8c to your left, and the other is moving at 0.8c to your right, then in your frame the distance between them is increasing at a rate of 1.6 light years per year. But, if you transform into the rest frame of one of these objects, then in this object's frame the second object will not be moving at 1.6c in this frame--instead you must use the formula for addition of relativistic velocities, [tex](u + v)/(1 + uv/c^2)[/tex], to find that in this frame the second object will be moving at (0.8c + 0.8c)/(1 + 0.64) = about 0.9756c. So the light-speed limit is about the individual velocity of any object in a single reference frame, not about the rate that the distance between multiple objects is growing or shrinking in a single reference frame.

brookstimtimtim said:
Hummm, So what happens when I setting outside and I'm looking at the North star and I turn around as fast as can to look at a star in the south. Could I say that because everything is relative that I did not move but everything else did and if so would that movement not appare to FTL?
Special relativity does not say all motion is relative, only inertial motion (motion that doesn't involve acceleration) is. If we are moving apart at constant velocity v, then we can look at things either from a frame where I am at rest and you are moving at velocity v, or a frame where you are at rest and I am moving at velocity v. On the other hand, if you are orbiting around me and I am not accelerating, it is not equally valid in SR to say that you are at rest and I am orbiting around you--the question of who is accelerating and who is not is an objective one, because the person who accelerates will feel G-forces (the centrifugal force, in the case of circular motion) while the one who doesn't will not.

We always need to have a constant don't we:wink:

brookstimtimtim said:
You know I heard allot of this before and will I'm just not buying it. Why is everyone so quick to ftl is impossible. I see a one problem with Einstein theory. If mass changes with the speed of an object, then is mass a virable? With out know what interaction makes this happen I think it is a bit much to say FTL is not possible. If one day we find the cause of this change in mass it might be possible to change the mass of an object to nothing, Einstein own theory say mass is not a constain nor is time. Would this not mean once we have a better understand of both, that both time and mass could be changed to make FTL possible, or do we keep doing as we have been doing, and say everything impossible?
The cause for this change of "mass"* is the input of energy needed to change the velocity of your object.
A simplified way of thinking about it is like this:

As you add energy to an object to accelerate it, that energy adds inertia of its own to the object, thus making it even harder to make further increases in the objects speed. This in turn increases the amount of energy you need to supply in order to make further increases in the objects speed (Just as if the object had gained mass). But this further increase of added energy itself adds inertia, etc. etc. The upshiot becomes that the total amount of energy needed to get an object up to a certain speed(relative to yourself) approaches infinity as the objects speed approaches the speed of light.

* I put mass in quotes here because there is some debate in convention as to whether it should be strictly considered as mass

Let me rephase what I was saying above. In our current understand in physics FTL travel is not possible, but our current understanding is limited due the fact we have very little understanding into origin of mass, gravity, and time, and until such time as we do have this understanding I think it is bold to make statements and call them law without knowing all the facts. I personal think we don't haft as much stuff as we think we do. I remember in school the model of the atom and sub atomic particles where not in the picture, now they have named them. I kind of like the Bertrand Russell saying above.

So what happens if you are traveling at c/2 and you pass various space ships traveling at velocities of different parts of c, both traveling toward and away from you?

Is your time different compared to all of these people depending on how you pass?

Would you "see" some ships with people who are aging much faster than you, and others who may pass you that are not aging at all really?

Doesn't it seem kind of strange that merely being in motion compared to something else affects the passage of time?

Or does it have more to do with the amount of energy that object contains?

I've heard it said that as you approach the speed of light (I still don't know in relation to what) you gain mass...? what is this mass... is it hydrogen?plutonium?... probably einsteinium! :) seriously though, do you actually gain mass, and does it go away as you slow down again?

Also how do you reach the speed of light, because no matter what speed you are going, there are going to be somethings that are coming toward you, and others that are going away from you, so how do you judge when you've reached the speed of light?

cdm1a23 said:
Is your time different compared to all of these people depending on how you pass?
Yes.
Would you "see" some ships with people who are aging much faster than you, and others who may pass you that are not aging at all really?
Yes, but you don't need Einstein's Relativity for that - the delay caused by the fact that th distance is changing affects your ability to watch what's going on on the other ship.
Doesn't it seem kind of strange that merely being in motion compared to something else affects the passage of time?
The first time I heard it, yes. But the evidence is so overwealming that it really isn't up for question - you get used to it. And besides - a lot of principles in physics, technology, etc. seem like magic the first time a person hears about them. That's ok, as long as you keep an open mind about learning new things.
Also how do you reach the speed of light, because no matter what speed you are going, there are going to be somethings that are coming toward you, and others that are going away from you, so how do you judge when you've reached the speed of light?
You can use a beam of light to measure your speed relative to any object you choose. You can even measure your speed relative to the beam of light (it'll always be zero).

The mass isn't "matter" in the conventional sense. Its inertia that's given by the energy added to the object to make it speed up. You don't actually gain any more atoms to your body you just have more inertia and mass is really a measure of inertia

Thanks Very Much but Still a lingering question

russ_watters said:
You can use a beam of light to measure your speed relative to any object you choose. You can even measure your speed relative to the beam of light (it'll always be zero).

Thanks to everyone for the responses, but regarding the quote above...

What I meant was, if you can't go light speed, but you can get very close, then how do you determine which object "counts" as an object to measure your velocity to?

For example, I am going light speed right now compared to the light that is coming past me from my monitor or lamp... in fact relative to those two things I am going light speed in two different directions! So what I am asking is, if I am going .9999c compared to the earth, and then a superfast rocket goes by me in the other direction at .9999c compared to earth, then I am going .9999c (compared to the earth) in one direction and the rocket is going .9999c (compared to the earth) in the other, so what happens? Aren't we both traveling nearly twice the speed of light in relation to each other since we are both seeing the Earth disappear behind us at .9999c?

cdm1a23 said:
What I meant was, if you can't go light speed, but you can get very close, then how do you determine which object "counts" as an object to measure your velocity to?
In your own reference frame, light always moves at the same speed. In other words, even if I observe you chasing a light beam at 0.8c in my frame, in your frame you will not observe that light beam moving away from you at only 0.2c, you'll still observe it moving at 1c in your own frame.
cdm1a23 said:
For example, I am going light speed right now compared to the light that is coming past me from my monitor or lamp... in fact relative to those two things I am going light speed in two different directions!
Light actually doesn't have its own reference frame in relativity, because if it did, it would violate the rule that the laws of physics must work the same in every reference frame (so if there are some frames where light moves at c, it must move at c in all valid reference frames). So, there's no inertial frame where light is at rest and you are moving at c.
cdm1a23 said:
So what I am asking is, if I am going .9999c compared to the earth, and then a superfast rocket goes by me in the other direction at .9999c compared to earth, then I am going .9999c (compared to the earth) in one direction and the rocket is going .9999c (compared to the earth) in the other, so what happens? Aren't we both traveling nearly twice the speed of light in relation to each other since we are both seeing the Earth disappear behind us at .9999c?
Nope, even though in the Earth frame you are both moving at 0.9999c in opposite directions, in your frame the Earth is moving away from you at 0.9999c but the other ship is not moving at 2*0.9999c...again, you have to use the formula for addition of velocities in relativity, [tex](u + v)/(1 + uv/c^2)[/tex], which in this case tells you that in your frame, the other ship will be moving at (0.9999c + 0.9999c)/(1 + 0.9999^2) = 1.9998c/1.99980001 = 0.999999995c away from you, in the same direction the Earth is going.

Starting to get it...

Thanks very much JesseM.:smile:
But I may have more questions to come!

brookstimtimtim said:
You know I heard allot of this before and will I'm just not buying it. Why is everyone so quick to ftl is impossible. I see a one problem with Einstein theory. If mass changes with the speed of an object, then is mass a virable?
The idea of mass increasing is not even in fashion in the physics education community anymore. The point is that it is completely unneccessary in the theory of relativity. Attacking the idea of relativistic mass is a completely in-effective way to attack relativity because most people teaching relativity these days don't like the idea of relativistic mass anyway.
brookstimtimtim said:
With out know what interaction makes this happen I think it is a bit much to say FTL is not possible. If one day we find the cause of this change in mass it might be possible to change the mass of an object to nothing, Einstein own theory say mass is not a constain nor is time.
Most people who argue for ftl simply do not understand relativity. Did you know that relativity does not limit how fast you can travel? Did you know that according to relativity you could concievably get to the nearest star in just a few minutes?
brookstimtimtim said:
Would this not mean once we have a better understand of both, that both time and mass could be changed to make FTL possible, or do we keep doing as we have been doing, and say everything impossible?
What relativity does say is that, even though you can travel as quickly as you like you cannot get back in time for dinner. The reason is that while you can get to the nearest star in a few minutes, for people back on Earth watching it will still take over 4 years. This does make star empires somewhat impractical so I guess it is the human drive to dominate larger and larger portions of the universe that is so threatened by relativity. But maybe when we truly grow up and leave such childish ideas behind, then we will be ready to travel to other stars.
brookstimtimtim said:
Another good one, is the people who says there no way to get around gravity or there not antigravity, they are sure that it is impossible yet nobody know what cause gravity. How do you know it is impossible when you don't why is possible?
I had not heard this one before. We certainly do not know any way of generating antigravity yet, but I had not heard that anyone has argued that it could never be possible.

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This is considered a fundamental constant in physics and is denoted by the symbol c.

2. Why can't anything exceed the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase infinitely, making it impossible to exceed this speed.

3. Can the speed of light be broken?

No, the speed of light is a universal constant and cannot be broken. However, there are theories that suggest the existence of particles called tachyons that can travel faster than light, but they have not been proven to exist.

4. What are the implications of exceeding the speed of light?

If an object were to exceed the speed of light, it would break the laws of physics as we know them and would cause a paradox in space-time. It would also require an infinite amount of energy, which is impossible.

5. Is it possible to travel close to the speed of light?

Yes, it is possible for objects with mass to travel close to the speed of light, but it would require an immense amount of energy. As an object approaches the speed of light, time dilation occurs, meaning time moves slower for the object in motion compared to a stationary observer. This phenomenon has been observed in experiments with particles traveling at high speeds.