Nothing without movement

James William Hall
Gold Member
Albert Einstein said, "Nothing happens until something moves. When something vibrates, the electrons of the entire universe resonate with it." I'm reasonably sure that's hyperbole so what was his point?

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor
Albert Einstein said, "Nothing happens until something moves. When something vibrates, the electrons of the entire universe resonate with it." I'm reasonably sure that's hyperbole so what was his point?
Doesn't look like hyperbole to me (though it seems to lack context). What exactly is your issue with it?

Likes Hornbein, Astronuc and Bystander
James William Hall
Gold Member
Other than it can't be tested I don't have an issue. My point was, does anyone know what his point was?

Do you happen to know the source for the quote? I did a quick Google search and couldn't find it. People rarely proclaim a sentence or two and leave it at that---context would help. The quote is sufficiently woowoo that you could read all kinds of meaning into it.

Likes symbolipoint and russ_watters
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
That's not really a reference. It's just prettier. :wink:

To paraphrase Lawrence Peter Berra, "Einstein didn't say all the things he said."

• Wow
Likes jim mcnamara, symbolipoint, diogenesNY and 1 other person
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Likes russ_watters
"I did not say this." -- Albert Einstein

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet!" - Albert Einstein

• Haha
  • Love
Likes david2, strangerep, Astronuc and 3 others
gmax137
Science Advisor
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet!" - Albert Einstein
I think Abraham Lincoln said that...

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, Wrichik Basu, Bystander and 2 others
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I think Abraham Lincoln said that...
In the original Klingon.

Likes BillTre and Bystander
This kind of quote is typically used as a marketing tool for businesses or cults based on new age spiritualism or mysticism. There is a popular cult (or brand of new age mysticism) based in the town of Shasta CA, for example, where masters of their cult are claimed to be able to raise their vibrations to the point they ascend, vanish and become one with the universe. They have crystal shops everywhere, and the sign outside reads that the crystal chooses you. People meditate trying to synchronize the resination of their atoms with the crystal. The last time I was there, a person outside the coffee shot was resonating with a tree.

• Haha
  • Sad
Likes strangerep, Lnewqban, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person
"If nothing is moving, then nothing is happening." -- Kurt Kobaine

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
A little time to think about the quotation is needed, plus some life experience and imagination.

A good interpretation is, you can think and talk all you want but nothing useful happens until somebody actually takes some action. Or, "Stop talking , and get busy!"

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I am not sure if the physicsforums system will allow the kind of vocabulary I wish to use here, but the quote can mean equivalently, "If you want some results, then get up and move your ass!"

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
The last time I was there, a person outside the coffee shot was resonating with a tree.
It's better to resonate with a tree, than destroy the rainforests, if you ask me.

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It's better to resonate with a tree, than destroy the rainforests, if you ask me.
I tried to resinate with a pine tree once. Took forever to get cleaned up.

• Haha
Likes gmax137, DaveC426913, BillTre and 3 others
I tried to resinate with a pine tree once. Took forever to get cleaned up.
Too good!