Notifications not working

• Thread starter Ryan_m_b
  • Start date
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I used to get instant email notifications but for the past week (despite the fact my settings are still on instant) I haven't been getting notifications until at some random time 50 emails appear at once.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Answers and Replies

I've gotten some reports that email notifications have not been working. Please provide feedback if you are or aren't getting email updates. Let me know if you find them in your spam box too.

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I'm afraid I turned off email notifications a long time ago.

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
i AM getting email notifications ok … i'm using Safari 4.1.3 and Mail 2.1.3 on Mac OS 10.4.7

Nothing wrong here with notifications of pm's to my yahoo account, nearly always in the same minute and obviously independent of the browser in use. Not using other notifications currently.

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Having said this I have received a number of notifications from this thread.

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Having said this I have received a number of notifications from this thread. I use yahoo.

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
i AM getting email notifications ok … i'm using Safari 4.1.3 and Mail 2.1.3 on Mac OS 10.4.7

CORRECTION:

in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=641547, i received all the email notifications except for post #3

however, it did show up on my Subscriptions page (otherwise i wouldn't have noticed it … i don't usually visit my Subscriptions page … i wonder whether i've missed any others? :frown:)

To better reach 100% delivery I have outsourced a SMTP service that will handle out out going email. Should be active sometime Monday.

Borek
Mentor
Does it mean people who have set their filters to allow everything coming from physicsforums.com may have their notifications filtered?

Does it mean people who have set their filters to allow everything coming from physicsforums.com may have their notifications filtered?

There are people that filter that strictly?

The "From" and "reply-to" address stay the same. The sending server changes.

Ok the SMTP service is live. Let me know if you have any notification problems. thanks!

I guess I was the unlucky one. I registered today and waited for my notification mail to activate my registration for hours. At first, I thought I mis-typed my email address. I tried to verified it only to hit the "registration exceeded for this hour from your computer" page (I haven't even typed anything), then discovered this thread and just waited it out. Email arrived couple hours later.

I guess I was the unlucky one. I registered today and waited for my notification mail to activate my registration for hours. At first, I thought I mis-typed my email address. I tried to verified it only to hit the "registration exceeded for this hour from your computer" page (I haven't even typed anything), then discovered this thread and just waited it out. Email arrived couple hours later.

Thanks for the report and sorry for the inconvenience! Hopefully this new service will improve our email results!

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Having said this I have received a number of notifications from this thread. I use yahoo.
That's because you had them turned on when you originally posted to it. To turn them off for this thread, unsubscribe from it and then resubscribe.

They are usually done in batches, not always exactly instant. Let me know if you don't get them at all today.

I did not recieve notifications of two pm's I got today. Normally the notification is there within a minute or so. I rechecked that it's still flagged.

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
i've had no notifications for 15 hours :redface: (and yes, i've checked my settings, and they're still ok)

Confirmed email notification problem. I'll let you know when we get it working.

Yes I did get an notification for recieving a PM. But I also got a notification for a reply to a thread ("last year a snowstorm, etc...) and I did not subscribe to that.

Edit:
And two other notification for threads I posted in ("end of knowledge" and "gateway error") that I posted in but did not subscribe to.

Yes I did get an notification for recieving a PM. But I also got a notification for a reply to a thread ("last year a snowstorm, etc...) and I did not subscribe to that.

Edit:
And another notification for another thread (end of knowledge) that I did not subscribe to.

I would look at your settings again

Evo
Mentor
All of my personal e-mail and notifications were reset. It automatically started subscribing me to any thread I posted in.

It also set every e-mail option to "e-mail" (they were previously set to none).

I have gone in and reset all of my options and manually unsubscribed from each thread.

I hope this isn't a forum wide glitch!!