Email Notification Issues: Are Other Users Experiencing Delays?

• Thread starter Ryan_m_b
  • Start date
In summary, some people are not getting notifications for posts on the physicsforums.com forum. It is not clear what is causing the problem, but it may be fixed by resetting users' settings.
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I used to get instant email notifications but for the past week (despite the fact my settings are still on instant) I haven't been getting notifications until at some random time 50 emails appear at once.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've gotten some reports that email notifications have not been working. Please provide feedback if you are or aren't getting email updates. Let me know if you find them in your spam box too.

I'm afraid I turned off email notifications a long time ago.

i AM getting email notifications ok … I'm using Safari 4.1.3 and Mail 2.1.3 on Mac OS 10.4.7

Nothing wrong here with notifications of pm's to my yahoo account, nearly always in the same minute and obviously independent of the browser in use. Not using other notifications currently.

Ryan_m_b said:
Having said this I have received a number of notifications from this thread.

Ryan_m_b said:
Having said this I have received a number of notifications from this thread. I use yahoo.

tiny-tim said:
i AM getting email notifications ok … I'm using Safari 4.1.3 and Mail 2.1.3 on Mac OS 10.4.7

CORRECTION:

in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=641547, i received all the email notifications except for post #3

however, it did show up on my Subscriptions page (otherwise i wouldn't have noticed it … i don't usually visit my Subscriptions page … i wonder whether I've missed any others? :frown:)

To better reach 100% delivery I have outsourced a SMTP service that will handle out out going email. Should be active sometime Monday.

Does it mean people who have set their filters to allow everything coming from physicsforums.com may have their notifications filtered?

Borek said:
Does it mean people who have set their filters to allow everything coming from physicsforums.com may have their notifications filtered?

There are people that filter that strictly?

The "From" and "reply-to" address stay the same. The sending server changes.

Ok the SMTP service is live. Let me know if you have any notification problems. thanks!

I guess I was the unlucky one. I registered today and waited for my notification mail to activate my registration for hours. At first, I thought I mis-typed my email address. I tried to verified it only to hit the "registration exceeded for this hour from your computer" page (I haven't even typed anything), then discovered this thread and just waited it out. Email arrived couple hours later.

FailedLaunch said:
I guess I was the unlucky one. I registered today and waited for my notification mail to activate my registration for hours. At first, I thought I mis-typed my email address. I tried to verified it only to hit the "registration exceeded for this hour from your computer" page (I haven't even typed anything), then discovered this thread and just waited it out. Email arrived couple hours later.

Thanks for the report and sorry for the inconvenience! Hopefully this new service will improve our email results!

Ryan_m_b said:
Having said this I have received a number of notifications from this thread. I use yahoo.
That's because you had them turned on when you originally posted to it. To turn them off for this thread, unsubscribe from it and then resubscribe.

They are usually done in batches, not always exactly instant. Let me know if you don't get them at all today.

I did not receive notifications of two pm's I got today. Normally the notification is there within a minute or so. I rechecked that it's still flagged.

i've had no notifications for 15 hours :redface: (and yes, I've checked my settings, and they're still ok)

Confirmed email notification problem. I'll let you know when we get it working.

Yes I did get an notification for receiving a PM. But I also got a notification for a reply to a thread ("last year a snowstorm, etc...) and I did not subscribe to that.

Edit:
And two other notification for threads I posted in ("end of knowledge" and "gateway error") that I posted in but did not subscribe to.

Andre said:
Yes I did get an notification for receiving a PM. But I also got a notification for a reply to a thread ("last year a snowstorm, etc...) and I did not subscribe to that.

Edit:
And another notification for another thread (end of knowledge) that I did not subscribe to.

I would look at your settings again

All of my personal e-mail and notifications were reset. It automatically started subscribing me to any thread I posted in.

It also set every e-mail option to "e-mail" (they were previously set to none).

I have gone in and reset all of my options and manually unsubscribed from each thread.

I hope this isn't a forum wide glitch!

Greg Bernhardt said:
I would look at your settings again

Until shortly, I had not subscribed to notifications for any thread and now it looks like I'm subscribing to any thread that I post in.

Andre said:
Until shortly, I had not subscribed to notifications for any thread and now it looks like I'm subscribing to any thread that I post in.
Did the same to me, I had to turn it off and unsubscribe.

Looks like I am getting automatically subscribed to every thread I post in as well. It wasn't this way.

i received nothing after my last post except for one notification 83 minutes ago,

until i received notification of each of the last four posts above :rolleyes:

(my settings do not seem to be affected)

Yes, I am getting automatically subscribed.

1. What could be causing delays in email notifications for other users?

There could be multiple reasons for delays in email notifications, such as technical issues with the email server, network connectivity problems, or a high volume of emails being sent at once.

2. How can I check if other users are also experiencing email notification delays?

You can check by asking other users if they have received their email notifications or by monitoring online forums or social media platforms where users may be discussing the issue.

3. Is there a way to fix email notification delays for other users?

The solution to fixing email notification delays will depend on the underlying cause. It may involve troubleshooting technical issues, optimizing network connectivity, or addressing any bugs in the email notification system.

4. How can I prevent email notification delays from happening in the future?

To prevent email notification delays, it is important to regularly maintain and update the email server and network infrastructure. It is also helpful to monitor and address any potential issues as soon as they arise.

5. Are there any alternative methods for receiving notifications if email delays continue?

Yes, there are alternative methods for receiving notifications, such as push notifications through a mobile app or SMS notifications. It may be worth considering these options if email delays continue to be a recurring issue.