Novice Guide to Understanding Bra-ket Notation

• Thread starter JDude13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bra-ket
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of bra-ket notation in quantum mechanics and the understanding of a system described by the notation |\phi>=\Sigma(\sqrt{\Lambda_n}|x=x_n>). The notation represents a wavefunction of a particle in the x eigenbasis, with the probability of the system being in a certain state represented by the amplitude. There is a debate on whether the notation accurately represents the probability amplitude and a suggestion for a different notation. The conversation also touches on the concept of state vectors in abstract vector spaces.
JDude13
I am new to qm and very new to bra-ket notation.
If you, as a physicist, saw this:
[tex]|\phi>=\Sigma(\sqrt{\Lambda_n}|x=x_n>)
[/tex]
what would you understand about the system it is describing?

Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't feel bad that notation is a little bit obtuse. Basically [tex]\vert \phi \rangle [/tex] is a wavefunction of some particle. You are then choosing to represent it in the [tex]x[/tex] eigenbasis. Essentially then all the information in [tex]\vert \phi \rangle [/tex] is then represented as the probability [tex]\Lambda_n[/tex] of the system being in the state given by [tex]\vert x_n \rangle[/tex]. Since

[tex]\vert \langle x_0 \vert \phi \rangle \vert^2 = \Lambda_0 [/tex]

would be the probability of it being in state 0.

To me that notation is a little weird, I don't think it's quite right to represent the probability amplitude as [tex]\sqrt{\Lambda_n}[/tex], since the amplitude is a complex number while the probability is a positive real...of course people often say that the probability is equal to the amplitude squared (JDude13 might take a look at [post=3250764]this post[/post] of mine for a quick explanation of this), but what they really mean is that the probability is equal to the amplitude multiplied by its own complex conjugate. And when you use vector decomposition to represent a quantum state vector as a weighted sum of eigenstates of some observable like position or momentum, the "weights" attached to each amplitude have to be complex amplitudes.

Since the amplitude associated with a given eigenvector [tex]\vert x_0 \rangle[/tex] is just [tex]\langle x_0 \vert \phi \rangle[/tex], I think a better notation would be [tex]\vert \phi \rangle =\Sigma(\langle x_n \vert \phi \rangle \vert x_n \rangle)[/tex]

Last edited:
Isnt that a mathematically null statement? Like saying 2=2.

JDude13 said:
Isnt that a mathematically null statement? Like saying 2=2.
I don't follow, aren't all mathematical statements inevitable given whatever axioms you're using? I don't think it's trivially obvious that any state vector can be expressed as a weighted sum of the eigenvectors of one or more observables.

Strictly speaking, [tex] | \phi \rangle [/tex] isn't a "wavefunction." It's a state or vector in an abstract vector space. The quantity [tex] \langle \vec{r} | \phi \rangle [/tex] is the position-space wavefunction [tex] \phi ( \vec{r} ) [/tex] you're thinking of.

1. What is bra-ket notation?

Bra-ket notation is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent quantum states and operators. It consists of the symbols < and >, known as the bra and ket respectively, with a vector or matrix inside. It is a shorthand way of representing complex mathematical equations and allows for easier manipulation of quantum states and operators.

2. How is bra-ket notation used?

Bra-ket notation is used to represent quantum states and operators in quantum mechanics. The bra represents the dual vector space of the ket, and the ket represents the state itself. Operators are represented by matrices within the bra-ket notation, and various operations can be performed on these matrices to manipulate quantum states.

3. What are the advantages of using bra-ket notation?

Bra-ket notation allows for a more concise and elegant representation of complex mathematical equations in quantum mechanics. It also allows for easier manipulation of quantum states and operators, making calculations and proofs more efficient. Additionally, it is a universal notation used by physicists and mathematicians, allowing for easier communication and understanding of quantum concepts.

4. Are there any limitations to bra-ket notation?

Bra-ket notation is primarily used in the field of quantum mechanics and may not be applicable to other areas of science. It also requires a strong understanding of linear algebra and quantum mechanics to interpret and use correctly. Additionally, some equations may become too complex to represent accurately using bra-ket notation.

5. How can I learn more about bra-ket notation?

There are many resources available for learning about bra-ket notation, including textbooks, online tutorials, and lectures. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in linear algebra and quantum mechanics before attempting to learn bra-ket notation. Practice and experimentation with simple equations can also aid in understanding and mastering this notation.