Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Novice need your advices

1. Sep 5, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone, maybe this is a very stupid question in this professional discussion group. I need your suggestion to learn the QM as a novice.

Firstly, I need to say that I am not a theoretical physicist and QM is just a tool for me. Currently, I need to focus on the electron-phonon coupling, electron-photon coupling and related application in solid-state physics, as well as in nano-material system. So, which aspect I need to throw my most time and energy on?

I am reading the book from cohen now, it is beautiful but too long althrough I know it is necessary to get the whole-view of the QM world. Maybe I need some points or focuses.

Thank you very much

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    There are no stupid questions.

To rephrase:
    You are interested in solid state with a leaning towards nano-materials physics.
    You are learning electron-phonon and electron-photon coupling.
    You want to know how to weight your time and energy in these two subjects given your interest.

They are both pretty important - but there is not enough information to advise you.
    Your intuition is probably correct - you should find something in the field that interests you and see what it takes to understand it. There will probably be several somethings.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook