Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Now Derivative

1. Aug 7, 2007 #1
    I wonder if anyone here knows any DERIVATIVE or differentiation book such as “Exercises in Integration” by Claude George, Springer-Verlag. Any advance would be appreciated.

Actually, I am looking for MORE techniques, manipulations, etc, on INTEGRATION and DERIVATIVE that could not be found on many FIRST-YEAR Calculus book such as Stewart, Varberg, Giordano, etc. Maybe I could find the techniques, manipulations, etc, that suitable with my taste. Any advance would be much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2007 #2
    You don't really need a book like that, and I doubt one exists. With derivatives, you just sit down and do them. No real cleverness is required.
  4. Aug 7, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is another example of what was referred to in a different thread as "direct" and "inverse" problems. We have a direct formula definition of the derivative and so, as musicheck said, "you just sit down and do them". The integral, or anti-derivative, typically is defined as the "inverse" of the derivative and so requires a lot of more or less related "techniques".
  5. Aug 7, 2007 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My suggestion is to take your Stewart textbook, and do all the derivatives. After about 50, you should fine that it's really repetitive and that's why they never wrote a book about techniques.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?