Can cats really be trained not to bite or scratch?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, a car passed me that advertised "Pet Accupuncture and Chiropractic". I can see someone trying to stick needles into my cat and it's not the only example of people wasting their money. There's a veternary clinic not far from where I live that offers those services as well. The best thing about cats is that they're biodegradable. I don't fear them, but I don't like them either.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Today while driving, a car passed me that advertised "Pet Accupuncture and Chiropractic". Yeah, I can see someone trying to stick needles into my cat.

A fool and their money are soon parted.

Is there no limit to what people will waste their money on?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a veternary clinic not far from where I live that offers those as well.

Ah, the sin of peace. Not quite as gruesome as the sin of war, of course, but still sickening in the right light.

zoobyshoe said:
There's a veternary clinic not far from where I live that offers those as well.
Well, all I know is that the $250 per week I spend for past life regression therapy for my cat has really helped both of us come to terms with his illegal possum smuggling.

Evo said:
Well, all I know is that the $250 per week I spend for past life regression therapy for my cat has really helped both of us come to terms with his illegal possum smuggling.
There was probably no other way.

It was just such a shock to turn the channel late at night and find this infomercial. :cry:

Attachments

• Dr Foofer1.jpg
    Dr Foofer1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 390
Evo said:
It was just such a shock to turn the channel late at night and find this infomercial. :cry:
Wow. You must have been devestated. I've never had a pet turn to crime, but, of course you hear stories everywhere and always have to wonder when they're late for dinner.

Dr... Foofer? Pumping? What the bloody hell are we talking about?

- Warren

chroot said:
Dr... Foofer? Pumping? What the bloody hell are we talking about?

- Warren
My cat. He "pumps" with his paws, some call it "kneading", it's what kittens do when they're milking their moms. He's obsessive about it.

You haven't read the Dr Foofer threads. It's an old joke.

The best thing about cats is that they're biodegradable.

- Warren

chroot said:

- Warren
:frown: :bugeye: :frown:

- Warren

...:grumpy:

Incidentally, it's cyrus' best quality, too.

- Warren

chroot said:
Hmmm...Do tribbles also annoy you? You may be a Klingon.

Incidentally, it's cyrus' best quality, too.

- Warren

:rofl:...wait a minute...:grumpy:

No wonder I have such a problem with back hair...

- Warren

zoobyshoe said:
Hmmm...Do tribbles also annoy you? You may be a Klingon.
Oh, they don't care for cats either. I remember when Data asked Whorf to take care of Cat. Data: tell him he's a nice cat, tell him he's a pretty cat. Whorf: I will feed him.

chroot said:
No wonder I have such a problem with back hair...
Yeah, you'd be happier with some viscious creature that can't be trained not to bite, I think. Something more challenging.

Point of contention: cats can't be trained not to bite (or scratch).

- Warren

Evo said:
Oh, they don't care for cats either. I remember when Data asked Whorf to take care of Cat. Data: tell him he's a nice cat, tell him he's a pretty cat. Whorf: I will feed him.
I think I remember that episode. Did the cat end up having kittens?

chroot said:
Oh, this is your objection: you fear them.

zoobyshoe said:
I think I remember that episode. Did the cat end up having kittens?
Yes, it regressed to a lizard right after it had the kittens. Everyone on board regressed. Data and Captain Picard where away, and when they returned, they found the entire crew regressed to primitive states.

The kittens didn't regress due to the placenta, (I don't write the stuff) and that's how they figured out how to cure everyone.

Not that I'm a huge Enterprise TNG fan and have memorized every episode. :redface: :uhh:

Aha. Of course placentas stop time warps. That makes perfect sense.

And no, zooby, I don't fear cats. I just don't like them.

- Warren

Evo said:
Yes, it regressed to a lizard right after it had the kittens. Everyone on board regressed. Data and Captain Picard where away, and when they returned, they found the entire crew regressed to primitive states.

The kittens didn't regress due to the placenta, (I don't write the stuff) and that's how they figured out how to cure everyone.

Not that I'm a huge Enterprise TNG fan and have memorized every episode. :redface: :uhh:
That ones is pretty fuzzy in my mind. I don't remember the regression part.

The episode I have memorized is the one about the deja vus. I thought they did a great job of capturing the weird mood you have when you're having a lot of them, and are certain you must have lived through the events at least several times before.

chroot said:
Aha. Of course placentas stop time warps. That makes perfect sense.
It was some virus that couldn't pass through the placenta.

- Warren

chroot said:
Yes, because of their razor sharp teeth and claws. I see.

zoobyshoe said:
That ones is pretty fuzzy in my mind. I don't remember the regression part.

The episode I have memorized is the one about the deja vus. I thought they did a great job of capturing the weird mood you have when you're having a lot of them, and are certain you must have lived through the events at least several times before.
The one where they are in the loop playing cards over and over?

Evo said:
The one where they are in the loop playing cards over and over?
Yeah, and they all start to "know" what cards are going to come up next. That is exactly what happens to you: if you speculate in your mind about what's going to happen next, that speculation seems so eerily familiar your gut instinct is that you're remembering it from having lived that moment before. When what you think is going to happen doesn't, you think: "Oh, so it's changed a bit since the last go round!"

Evo said:
My cat. He "pumps" with his paws, some call it "kneading", it's what kittens do when they're milking their moms. He's obsessive about it.

You haven't read the Dr Foofer threads. It's an old joke.
Um, er, um, uh...does he rub his back legs together at the same time? It's...well...what all male mammals seem to like doing. :uhh: "Pumping" seems to be a better term than "kneading" at his age. :biggrin:

Oh my, could this be a new love interest for roving nocturnal purple jellyfish? A lobster with silky blond hair?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/03/08/furry.lobster.ap/index.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Oh my, could this be a new love interest for roving nocturnal purple jellyfish? A lobster with silky blond hair?

Why does the name Phyllis Diller come into my mind? Did she wear some kind of long sleeve furry gloves?

Evo said:

When you said a lobster with silky blonde hair, I was thinking someone sent you a photo of me with a sunburn. :biggrin:

Wow, that's an interesting looking creature. I'm laughing at the species name...hirsuta...hairy. :rofl:

chroot said:

- Warren

Usually, this is only true if you don't like them. Once you get used to the idea that they're boss and you're pretty much just their food and pooper slave, they make wonderful pets.