Nozzle Conservation of Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a nozzle and the forces exerted on it by a fluid. The solution process involves using Bernoulli's equation and the conservation of momentum, and also incorporates the consideration of bolts or a continuous nozzle. The use of gauge pressure versus absolute pressure also affects the resulting force on the nozzle.
member 428835

Homework Statement

I am happy to re-write the question, but I'm just leisurely working through a list of problems I found online, so here is the link (with picture).
http://web.mit.edu/2.25/www/5_pdf/5_01.pdf

Homework Equations

Cons of Momentum
Cons of Mass

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I would use Bernoulli's equation since flow is inviscid and incompressible and conservation of mass. Steady flow implies Bernoulli's equation is ##P_1+1/2 \rho V_1 = P_A+1/2 \rho V_2## and Conservation of mass is ## R_1^2 V_1 = R_2^2 V_2##. Thus we may solve for and know ##P_1##.

b) Take a CV to be the fluid in the nozzle, starting somewhere at ##R_1## and ending at ##R_2##. Since we only consider this force during steady flow, conservation of momentum is $$\iint \rho \vec{V} (\vec{V_{rel}}\cdot \vec{n})\,dA = \sum \vec{F} \implies\\ -\rho V_1^2 \pi R_1^2+\rho V_2^2 \pi R_2^2 = -P_1 \pi R_1^2+P_a \pi R_2^2 +\vec{F_{bolt}}$$

Does this look correct? If so, what would change if we didn't have the bolt, but rather the pipe was manufactured with the nozzle directly apart of itself? The tensile force ##\vec{F_{bolt}}## wouldn't be in the equation, but surely the force would not simply be gone, right?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The force on the nozzle is the same regardless of how the nozzle is fixed .

The forces acting in the fixing bolts or in a solid connection are not relevant in the flow analysis .

Nidum said:
The forces acting in the fixing bolts or in a solid connection are not relevant in the flow analysis .
Are you saying my solution is wrong? Did I miss something?

joshmccraney said:
$$\iint \rho \vec{V} (\vec{V_{rel}}\cdot \vec{n})\,dA = \sum \vec{F} \implies\\ -\rho V_1^2 \pi R_1^2+\rho V_2^2 \pi R_2^2 = -P_1 \pi R_1^2+P_a \pi R_2^2 +\vec{F_{bolt}}$$
This equation does not look correct to me. Check the signs of the terms. Also, in this equation, please specify whether F is supposed to be the force in the positive x direction that the nozzle is exerting on the fluid, or the force in the positive x direction that the fluid is exerting on the nozzle.

Chestermiller said:
This equation does not look correct to me..
What about it doesn't look right to you?
Chestermiller said:
Check the signs of the terms. Also, in this equation, please specify whether F is supposed to be the force in the positive x direction that the nozzle is exerting on the fluid, or the force in the positive x direction that the fluid is exerting on the nozzle.

Sorry, ##F## is suppose to be the force the nozzle is exerting on the fluid. I did flip the signs for pressure, so the balance is
$$-\rho V_1^2 \pi R_1^2+\rho V_2^2 \pi R_2^2 = P_1 \pi R_1^2-P_a \pi R_2^2 -{F_{bolt}}$$

joshmccraney said:
What about it doesn't look right to you?Sorry, ##F## is suppose to be the force the nozzle is exerting on the fluid. I did flip the signs for pressure, so the balance is
$$-\rho V_1^2 \pi R_1^2+\rho V_2^2 \pi R_2^2 = P_1 \pi R_1^2-P_a \pi R_2^2 -{F_{bolt}}$$
Much better.

Chestermiller said:
Much better.
Thanks! But I'm still curious how to deal with the bolts, or rather my ##F_{bolt}##. For instance, if the problem sketch did not have the bolts, but instead showed a continuous nozzle, how would my analysis be wrong (it must be, right?)

joshmccraney said:
Thanks! But I'm still curious how to deal with the bolts, or rather my ##F_{bolt}##. For instance, if the problem sketch did not have the bolts, but instead showed a continuous nozzle, how would my analysis be wrong (it must be, right?)
If it were continuous, this would give the tensile force in the straight section of the pipe upstream of the nozzle.

Incidentally, you should be solving this using gauge pressure in the equation. Otherwise, when you want to find the net force on the nozzle, you will have to include the air pressure on the outside surface of the nozzle in the force balance equation. F from the momentum balance on the fluid is not the same as the force exerted by the bolts.

Chestermiller said:
Incidentally, you should be solving this using gauge pressure in the equation. Otherwise, when you want to find the net force on the nozzle, you will have to include the air pressure on the outside surface of the nozzle in the force balance equation. F from the momentum balance on the fluid is not the same as the force exerted by the bolts.
So the air pressure on the outside would be ##-\iint P\, dS## which is ##P_a## times the surface area of the pipe, right? If ##F## is not the force exerted by the bolts, then what is it exactly? You said it is the tensile force; how is this not the force the bolts would offset?

joshmccraney said:
So the air pressure on the outside would be ##-\iint P\, dS## which is ##P_a## times the surface area of the pipe, right? If ##F## is not the force exerted by the bolts, then what is it exactly? You said it is the tensile force; how is this not the force the bolts would offset?
F is the force that the fluid exerts on the nozzle and also the force that the nozzle exerts on the fluid. But, this is not the total force on the nozzle. And it is not the force that the bolts exert on the nozzle. Draw a free body diagram of the nozzle. If you solve this problem using gauge pressure instead of absolute pressure, you will get a different result. Try it and see. What do you get for F in terms of ##V_1##, ##\rho##, ##P_a##, ##A_1##, and ##A_2## if you use absolute pressure? What do you get if you use gauge pressure?

Chestermiller said:
What do you get for F in terms of ##V_1##, ##\rho##, ##P_a##, ##A_1##, and ##A_2## if you use absolute pressure? What do you get if you use gauge pressure?
$$F = (\rho V_1^2+P_1)A_1-(\rho V_2^2+P_a)A_2-P_a\cdot A_{nozzle}\\
F = (\rho V_1^2+P_1-P_a)A_1-\rho V_2^2A_2$$
for absolute and gauge pressure respectively. I don't think I did this correctly though, since we could now solve for the nozzle area; what do you think?

joshmccraney said:
$$F = (\rho V_1^2+P_1)A_1-(\rho V_2^2+P_a)A_2-P_a\cdot A_{nozzle}\\
F = (\rho V_1^2+P_1-P_a)A_1-\rho V_2^2A_2$$
for absolute and gauge pressure respectively. I don't think I did this correctly though, since we could now solve for the nozzle area; what do you think?
Hi Josh,

When I asked "for F in terms of ##V_1##, ##\rho##, ##P_a##, ##A_1##, and ##A_2##," I didn't expect to see ##P_1## and ##V_2## in your final equation. I expected you to eliminate these parameters from the final result. Can you please go back and do this? Thanks.

Chet

$$F = \left(\rho V_1^2+ P_A+1/2 \rho \frac{A_1 V_1}{A_2}-1/2 \rho V_1\right)A_1-\left(\rho \left( \frac{A_1 V_1}{A_2} \right)^2+P_a\right)A_2-P_a\cdot A_{nozzle}\\
=\rho V_1^2A_1+ P_AA_1+1/2 \rho \frac{A_1^2 V_1}{A_2}-1/2 \rho V_1A_1-\rho \frac{A_1 V_1^2}{A_2}+P_a A_2-P_a\cdot A_{nozzle}\\
F = \left(\rho V_1^2+ P_A+1/2 \rho \frac{A_1V_1}{A_2}-1/2 \rho V_1-P_a\right)A_1-\rho \left( \frac{A_1 V_1}{A_2} \right)^2A_2\\
=\rho V_1^2A_1+ P_AA_1+1/2 \rho \frac{A^2_1V_1}{A_2}-1/2 \rho V_1A_1-P_a A_1-\rho \frac{A_1^2 V_1^2}{A_2}$$
How does this look?

joshmccraney said:
$$F = \left(\rho V_1^2+ P_A+1/2 \rho \frac{A_1 V_1}{A_2}-1/2 \rho V_1\right)A_1-\left(\rho \left( \frac{A_1 V_1}{A_2} \right)^2+P_a\right)A_2-P_a\cdot A_{nozzle}\\
=\rho V_1^2A_1+ P_AA_1+1/2 \rho \frac{A_1^2 V_1}{A_2}-1/2 \rho V_1A_1-\rho \frac{A_1 V_1^2}{A_2}+P_a A_2-P_a\cdot A_{nozzle}\\
F = \left(\rho V_1^2+ P_A+1/2 \rho \frac{A_1V_1}{A_2}-1/2 \rho V_1-P_a\right)A_1-\rho \left( \frac{A_1 V_1}{A_2} \right)^2A_2\\
=\rho V_1^2A_1+ P_AA_1+1/2 \rho \frac{A^2_1V_1}{A_2}-1/2 \rho V_1A_1-P_a A_1-\rho \frac{A_1^2 V_1^2}{A_2}$$
How does this look?
It looks like there are some algebra errors. I get:
$$F=P_a(A_1-A_2)+\frac{1}{2}\rho V_1^2A_1\left(\frac{A_1}{A_2}-1\right)^2$$

Chestermiller said:
It looks like there are some algebra errors. I get:
$$F=P_a(A_1-A_2)+\frac{1}{2}\rho V_1^2A_1\left(\frac{A_1}{A_2}-1\right)^2$$
Oops, dang algebra!
Chestermiller said:
F is the force that the fluid exerts on the nozzle and also the force that the nozzle exerts on the fluid. But, this is not the total force on the nozzle. And it is not the force that the bolts exert on the nozzle.
So if ##F## is not the tensile force exerted on the bolts then what is?

joshmccraney said:
So if ##F## is not the tensile force exerted on the bolts then what is?
The increase in tensile force at the bolts is ##\frac{1}{2}\rho V_1^2A_1\left(\frac{A_1}{A_2}-1\right)^2##. This is also what you had gotten if you had used gauge pressures instead of absolute pressures.

Can you provide an explanation of why the air pressure term drops out?

Chestermiller said:
Can you provide an explanation of why the air pressure term drops out?
I would guess because there is also pressure on the outside of the nozzle that is acting normal to the nozzle, and this pressure cancels the pressure gradient inside the nozzle?

joshmccraney said:
I would guess because there is also pressure on the outside of the nozzle that is acting normal to the nozzle, and this pressure cancels the pressure gradient inside the nozzle?
Yes. If you integrate the atmospheric pressure vetorially over the outside surface of the nozzle, it exactly cancels the atmospheric pressure term from the momentum balance.

Likes member 428835
Chestermiller said:
Yes. If you integrate the atmospheric pressure vetorially over the outside surface of the nozzle, it exactly cancels the atmospheric pressure term from the momentum balance.
So without integrating explicitly how would I know this?

joshmccraney said:
So without integrating explicitly how would I know this?
It's not hard to integrate formally for any arbitrary shape r = r(z). But you find that the outside force is just equal to the pressure times the difference in projected area. Try it and see.

Chestermiller said:
It's not hard to integrate formally for any arbitrary shape r = r(z). But you find that the outside force is just equal to the pressure times the difference in projected area. Try it and see.
Wait, I see it now! So all the vertical components of the pressure will cancel out by symmetry, leaving only the horizontal components. Adding up those horizontal pressure components will be ##A_2-A_1##, the disk. Does this always happen with pressure (for instance, if we were taking the hydrostatic pressure on, say, a 2-D board that goes from ##(0,0)\to(1,1)## and another that goes from ##(0,0)\to(0,1)\to(1,1)##, would we have the same horizontal hydrostatic pressure?

I'm curious for your integral though!

joshmccraney said:
Wait, I see it now! So all the vertical components of the pressure will cancel out by symmetry, leaving only the horizontal components. Adding up those horizontal pressure components will be ##A_2-A_1##, the disk. Does this always happen with pressure (for instance, if we were taking the hydrostatic pressure on, say, a 2-D board that goes from ##(0,0)\to(1,1)## and another that goes from ##(0,0)\to(0,1)\to(1,1)##, would we have the same horizontal hydrostatic pressure?
Yes.

joshmccraney said:
Differential area on surface of nozzle = ##rd\theta \sqrt{(dr)^2+(dz)^2}##

Unit tangent along surface of nozzle = ##\vec{i}_t=\frac{\vec{i}_rdr+\vec{i}_zdz}{\sqrt{(dr)^2+(dz)^2}}##

Inward directed unit normal to nozzle surface = ##\vec{i}_n=\frac{-\vec{i}_rdz+\vec{i}_zdr}{\sqrt{(dr)^2+(dz)^2}}##

Pressure force acting on differential area on differential area on surface of nozzle =
##(rd\theta \sqrt{(dr)^2+(dz)^2})(\frac{-\vec{i}_rdz+\vec{i}_zdr}{\sqrt{(dr)^2+(dz)^2}}p_a)=rd\theta(-\vec{i}_rdz+\vec{i}_zdr)p_a##

If we integrate this over the surface of the nozzle, we get ##(A_2-A_1)p_a\vec{i}_z##

joshmccraney said:
Differential area on surface of nozzle = ##rd\theta \sqrt{(dr)^2+(dz)^2}##

Unit tangent along surface of nozzle = ##\vec{i}_t=\frac{\vec{i}_rdr+\vec{i}_zdz}{\sqrt{(dr)^2+(dz)^2}}##

Inward directed unit normal to nozzle surface = ##\vec{i}_n=\frac{-\vec{i}_rdz+\vec{i}_zdr}{\sqrt{(dr)^2+(dz)^2}}##

Pressure force acting on differential area on surface of nozzle =
##(rd\theta \sqrt{(dr)^2+(dz)^2})(\frac{-\vec{i}_rdz+\vec{i}_zdr}{\sqrt{(dr)^2+(dz)^2}}p_a)=rd\theta(-\vec{i}_rdz+\vec{i}_zdr)p_a##

If we integrate this over the surface of the nozzle, we get ##(A_2-A_1)p_a\vec{i}_z##

Last edited:
Likes member 428835
Thanks a ton!

1. What is the principle behind nozzle conservation of momentum?

The principle behind nozzle conservation of momentum is that in an isolated system, the total momentum before and after an event will be equal. This means that the momentum of the particles entering a nozzle must be conserved as they exit the nozzle.

2. How does a nozzle conserve momentum?

A nozzle conserves momentum by accelerating the particles passing through it in one direction, which results in an equal and opposite force pushing back on the nozzle itself. This creates a conservation of momentum between the particles and the nozzle.

3. What is the equation for nozzle conservation of momentum?

The equation for nozzle conservation of momentum is m1v1 = m2v2, where m is the mass of the particles and v is the velocity of the particles entering and exiting the nozzle, respectively.

4. How does the shape of a nozzle affect conservation of momentum?

The shape of a nozzle can affect conservation of momentum by altering the velocity of the particles as they pass through. A converging nozzle, which narrows in shape, will increase the velocity of the particles and therefore increase the force pushing back on the nozzle. A diverging nozzle, which widens in shape, will decrease the velocity of the particles and therefore decrease the force pushing back on the nozzle.

5. What are some real-life applications of nozzle conservation of momentum?

Nozzle conservation of momentum has many real-life applications. It is commonly used in rocket engines, where the high-speed exhaust gases exiting the nozzle create a thrust force that propels the rocket forward. It is also used in fuel injectors for cars, fire hoses, and many other engineering and scientific applications where the conservation of momentum is crucial for efficient and effective functioning.