1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ns and N/s

1. Aug 29, 2006 #1

danago

Gold Member

Hey. Im having a little trouble differentiating between newtons per second ([itex]N s^{-1}[/itex]) and newton seconds (N s). I know that N/s is a measurement of a certain number of newtons over a period of 1 second, but could someone please explain what a newton second is?

Thanks,
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2006 #2
    Ns is a unit used to quantify momentum.

4. Aug 29, 2006 #3

danago

Gold Member

momentum? I thought momentum was usually measured in kg m/s? ISnt Ns used to measure impulse?

5. Aug 29, 2006 #4
    Well, N = kg m / s^2 and Ns ends up being kg m / s.

6. Aug 29, 2006 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

So what are units of N/s used for? N*m/s would be power, so N/s is power per distance? Where did you see these units pop up, danago?

7. Aug 30, 2006 #6

danago

Gold Member

For impulse. Since [itex]I=F \Delta t[/itex], therefore, its unit would be Ns wouldnt it?

8. Aug 30, 2006 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, Newton-seconds is the unit of impulse. However, I can see where the confusion arose with respect to momentum, since the change in momentum is equal to the impulse.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?