Solving High-Degree Polynomial Functions: A Scientific Approach

In summary: This is a problem for example in robotics, where you need a solution that works for all time. There are numerous articles and books on the subject depending on the context of the question.In summary, solving an Nth degree polynomial function with N>=5 can be done using algorithms like Newton's method or Laurent's Expansion Theorem. However, finding a general solution for such polynomials is not possible and one must use numerical methods to find roots. There are various iterative methods available, such as the Jenkins-Traub and Laguerre methods. There are also online tools that can perform this task, such as the Javascript program using the Jenkins-Traub algorithm. However, for certain contexts, more work may be needed to find
Panphobia
How would I go about solving an Nth degree polynomial function such that N>=5?

Ax[itex]^{n}[/itex]+Bx[itex]^{n-1}[/itex]+...+Z = 0

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Iteration, unless you stumble on some kind of factorization.

That might take a while with this
u(k) = (900-3k)r[itex]^{k-1}[/itex]
s(n) = Σ[itex]_{k=1...n}[/itex]u(k)
find r for which s(5000) = -600,000,000,000

But ok no problem, I guess I will write a program to iterate through all possible values of r.

Panphobia said:
That might take a while with this
u(k) = (900-3k)r[itex]^{k-1}[/itex]
s(n) = Σ[itex]_{k=1...n}[/itex]u(k)
find r for which s(5000) = -600,000,000,000

But ok no problem, I guess I will write a program to iterate through all possible values of r.

You would use an algorithm like Newton's method to find the roots. Testing all possible values of r is both impossible and also not particularly efficient.

I made some assumptions but I got the algorithm working and I got r

Panphobia said:
How would I go about solving an Nth degree polynomial function such that N>=5?

Ax[itex]^{n}[/itex]+Bx[itex]^{n-1}[/itex]+...+Z = 0
The Galois group of a general complex polynomial of degree ##n\geq 5## is not solvable. Thus, you won't be able to come up with something like the quadratic formula for ##n\geq 5##. You have to find other ways to find roots.

Mandelbroth said:
The Galois group of a general complex polynomial of degree ##n\geq 5## is not solvable. Thus, you won't be able to come up with something like the quadratic formula for ##n\geq 5##.

Given:

$$ w(z)=a_0+a_1 z+a_2 z^2+\cdots+a_nz^n$$

by Laurent's Expansion Theorem applied to algebraic functions, we can always write down an explicit expression (just like the quadratic formula) for the roots in terms of complex-contour integrals:

$$
w(z)=b\prod_{j=1}^N \left(z-\frac{1}{2k_j\pi i}\mathop{\oint} \frac{z_{j,k}(\zeta)}{\zeta}d\zeta\right)^{k}
$$

However, the integral is in general not solvable in terms of elementary functions so must be evaluated numerically.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
jackmell said:
Given:

$$ w(z)=a_0+a_1 z+a_2 z^2+\cdots+a_nz^n$$

by Laurent's Expansion Theorem applied to algebraic functions, we can always write down an explicit expression (just like the quadratic formula) for the roots in terms of complex-contour integrals:

$$
w(z)=b\prod_{j=1}^N \left(z-\frac{1}{2k_j\pi i}\mathop{\oint} \frac{z_{j,k}(\zeta)}{\zeta}d\zeta\right)^{k}
$$

However, the integral is in general not solvable in terms of elementary functions so must be evaluated numerically.
You know I meant "in terms of radicals, powers, addition, and subtraction," right? :tongue:

That's actually REALLY cool to me. I've never thought of that, so I've learned something new today. :approve:

Mandelbroth said:
I've never thought of that, so I've learned something new today. :approve:

We need to try one in case the reader is not sure how to do this. Let's take:

$$f(z,w)=z-w(w-1)^2(w-2)^3(w-(1+i))^4=0$$

And in order to extract the fourth-order root, we will integrate over the 4-cycle branch corresponding to this root, the ##w_{4,1}## branch, along an ##8\pi## circular path say midway the distance to the nearest singular point of ##f(z,w)## which in this case is about 0.026 so let's let ##z=0.01 e^{it}## Then we have:

$$\frac{dw}{dt}=-\frac{\frac{df}{dz}}{\frac{df}{dw}}\frac{dz}{dt}=g(z,w)$$

Then we solve the IVP:

$$\frac{dw}{dt}=g(z,w),\quad w(0)=w_{4,1}(0.01)$$

where ##w_{4,1}(0.01)## means we are starting the integration on one of the determinations of this 4-cycle branch..

We integrate that numerically and obtain the (numeric) function ##w_{4,1}##.

Then we would integrate:

$$\frac{1}{8\pi i}\oint \frac{w_{4,1}(t)}{z(t)}z'(t) dt$$

and when I solve the IVP for each determination of that branch, and solve that integral numerically, I get four values very close to ##1+i##.

Now, if I've explained that well, the reader can now write Mathematica code to extract the third-order root. It should only take about 10 lines of code. You would of course have to find which of the 10 determinations of the function correspond to the 3-cycle branch but you can just integrate over all of them; three results should be very close to 2.

Last edited:
There is a Master's Thesis (in PDF format) from Oxford University posted at the following link:

http://eprints.maths.ox.ac.uk/16/1/mekwi.pdf

I think it does a pretty good job providing a general overview (and easily readable) of the various iterative methods available for solving polynomial equations.

Forming a Companion Matrix for the polynomial and solving for its eigenvalues (which are the roots of the original equation) is a very robust technique. However, it is not computationally efficient; it is better to use a method specifically designed to solve for the roots of a polynomial equation.

The Jenkins-Traub and Laguerre methods are two algorithms popular for solving for the roots of polynomial equations. There are several more; a search should reveal them.

Do you need to write a program to do this task?
Or do you just need it done, regardless of the technique?

In addition to the commercial software that can do this (e.g. - MATLAB, Maple, Mathematica, etc), there are also several free tools available online that can perform this task. For example, the following Javascript program uses the Jenkins-Traub algorithm to solve for the roots of a polynomial up to degree 100:

http://www.akiti.ca/PolyRootRe.html

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I did was just figure out what r = 1 was, then r = 10 was. Then I found out the answer was between, so I binary searched through the decimals until I got to a precise enough r. I was hoping to come up with a true maths solution. But I guess that was good enough. r = 1.002322108633

That gets you one answer, but there is one for each degree (possibly complex). Depending on the context of the question you might need to do more work.

1. What is an Nth degree polynomial?

An Nth degree polynomial is a mathematical expression that contains one or more terms, with each term having a variable raised to a specific exponent. The degree of the polynomial refers to the highest exponent in the expression.

2. How do you find the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is determined by the highest exponent in the expression. For example, in the polynomial 2x^3 + 5x^2 + 3x + 1, the degree is 3 because the exponent of the first term is 3.

3. What are the different types of Nth degree polynomials?

There are several types of Nth degree polynomials, including linear (degree of 1), quadratic (degree of 2), cubic (degree of 3), and higher degree polynomials such as quartic (degree of 4), quintic (degree of 5), and so on.

4. How do you graph an Nth degree polynomial?

To graph an Nth degree polynomial, you can plot points by choosing values for the variable and evaluating the expression. You can also use the leading coefficient and the degree to determine the end behavior and shape of the graph.

5. What are the applications of Nth degree polynomials?

Nth degree polynomials are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, economics, and computer graphics. They are also used in statistics to model data and make predictions.