Investigating the Convergence of Series: Sn = 5-1/n

In summary, the nth partial sum of the series is given by Sn = 5-1/n and the task is to determine whether the series is convergent or divergent. The attempt at a solution involved looking in a book for guidance, but no relevant information was found. The idea of finding a pattern and using it as a solution did not work, leaving the person stuck. The sum of the series is defined as the limit of the partial sums.
KTiaam

Homework Statement

The nth partial sum of the series

Ʃ an
n=1

is given Sn = 5-1/n

Determine weather the series is convergent or divergent

The Attempt at a Solution

Looked in my book on how to do this one.
couldn't find anything on it.

What i was thinking was find the sum of all n's and finding a pattern and use that as an
however it didnt work, so I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
KTiaam said:

Homework Statement

The nth partial sum of the series

Ʃ an
n=1

is given Sn = 5-1/n

Determine weather the series is convergent or divergent

The Attempt at a Solution

Looked in my book on how to do this one.
couldn't find anything on it.

What i was thinking was find the sum of all n's and finding a pattern and use that as an
however it didnt work, so I am stuck.

The sum of the series is DEFINED to be the limit of the partial sums. There's not much else to know. What is it?

1. What does the series Sn = 5-1/n converge to?

The series Sn = 5-1/n converges to the number 5. This can be shown by taking the limit as n approaches infinity, which equals 5.

2. How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

The convergence or divergence of a series can be determined by taking the limit of the series as n approaches infinity. If the limit exists and is a finite number, the series converges. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, the series diverges.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent series?

A convergent series is one whose sum approaches a finite number as more terms are added. A divergent series is one whose sum either approaches infinity or does not approach a finite number as more terms are added.

4. Can the series Sn = 5-1/n be used to approximate any specific value?

Yes, the series Sn = 5-1/n can be used to approximate the value of 5. However, as more terms are added, the approximation will become more accurate and approach 5.

5. How can the convergence of a series be proven mathematically?

To prove the convergence of a series, one can use various methods such as the comparison test, the ratio test, or the integral test. These methods involve comparing the given series to known convergent or divergent series, or using calculus techniques to determine the convergence of the series.