1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nth power of (a+b)

1. Jul 5, 2006 #1
    can u tell me all possible ways of deriving nth power of (a+b) other than -- multiplying (a+b) again and again;binomial theorem and pascal triangle. CAN U TELL ME A FEW MORE METHODS? I'M PARTICULARLY INTERESTED IN GEOMETRICAL METHODS (someone told me there's one using PYTHAGORAS THEOREM). u may think i'm asking u a crazy question , but this is my holiday homework project for maths

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

The binomial theorem is:

[tex](a+b)^n = \sum_{k=0}^n \left( \begin{array}{cc} n \\ k \end{array} \right)a^k b^{n-k} [/tex]

Are you looking for different ways to prove this? Or different expressions equal to the LHS? Or ways of numerically computing the LHS for specific values of a and b?

4. Jul 5, 2006 #3
    Looks GOOD to me =) :tongue:

5. Jul 5, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the OP is looking for a proof of the theorem. The obvious ones are the inductive proof and some kind of combinatoric proof (I can think of one, and I imagine others of this kind are essentially the same). I can't, however, imagine a proof based on Pythgoras.

6. Jul 6, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, I don't think so. It seems clear that the OP is looking for different methods of finding (x+ y)n, or at least the coefficients, not just a proof of the binomial theorem. Unfortunately, I can't think of any!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?