Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Nth power of (a+b)

1. Jul 5, 2006 #1
    can u tell me all possible ways of deriving nth power of (a+b) other than -- multiplying (a+b) again and again;binomial theorem and pascal triangle. CAN U TELL ME A FEW MORE METHODS? I'M PARTICULARLY INTERESTED IN GEOMETRICAL METHODS (someone told me there's one using PYTHAGORAS THEOREM). u may think i'm asking u a crazy question , but this is my holiday homework project for maths

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

The binomial theorem is:

[tex](a+b)^n = \sum_{k=0}^n \left( \begin{array}{cc} n \\ k \end{array} \right)a^k b^{n-k} [/tex]

Are you looking for different ways to prove this? Or different expressions equal to the LHS? Or ways of numerically computing the LHS for specific values of a and b?

4. Jul 5, 2006 #3
    Looks GOOD to me =) :tongue:

5. Jul 5, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the OP is looking for a proof of the theorem. The obvious ones are the inductive proof and some kind of combinatoric proof (I can think of one, and I imagine others of this kind are essentially the same). I can't, however, imagine a proof based on Pythgoras.

6. Jul 6, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

No, I don't think so. It seems clear that the OP is looking for different methods of finding (x+ y)n, or at least the coefficients, not just a proof of the binomial theorem. Unfortunately, I can't think of any!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook