Preparing for an NTSE National Level Interview in 2005

• Thread starter Vagrant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interview
In summary, the NTSE interview for the National Talent Search Examinations in India consists of a friendly 21-minute interview with a panel of 7 members. Questions range from personal introductions and goals to specific subject knowledge in history, chemistry, and geography. The panel also asks about body weight, likes and dislikes in certain subjects, and current events. It is advised to stay calm, be prepared, and maintain a positive body language during the interview. However, there have been concerns about the subjective nature of the interview process, with questions that may not seem relevant to the scholarship itself.
Vagrant
I have qualified in the national level of NTSE. My interview is sheduled in July/August 2005. I wanted to know what kind of questions are asked and what should be my preparation?

Physics news on Phys.org
shramana said:
I have qualified in the national level of NTSE. My interview is sheduled in July/August 2005. I wanted to know what kind of questions are asked and what should be my preparation?

Are you purposely restricting the level of responses you wish to get only from people who automatically know what "national level of NTSE" is?

Zz.

Ntse

ZapperZ said:
Are you purposely restricting the level of responses you wish to get only from people who automatically know what "national level of NTSE" is?

Zz.
Obviously. By the way it is National Talent Search Examinations, one of the most prestigious scholarship exams in India.

usually basic GK questions r asked...like the preamble,fundamental rights etc.also some subject knowledge in history,chemistry,geography.U must be able to introduce yourself well and get to know how to lead the interview.

NTSE interview experience

Hi,
I’m SHUBHAM GOEL and I appeared for the NTSE interview on 11th August 2010 in New Delhi. The panel members consisted of 7 members. The panel understood that we are children and did not create a tense situation. They were friendly and carried on the interview for 21 minutes and 15 seconds.
When I entered, the first thing they asked for was the file of certificates which I was carrying along. Then they asked the following questions in sequence:-
1.Tell about yourself.
2.What is your aim in life?
3.Tell about your family.
4.Why are you so lean and thin?(I am very slim and thin)
5.There is a ratio between height and weight. Do you know it? Do you follow it?
6.They asked me if I like Physics. I said yes but specified the topic ‘motion’.
7.They asked the 1st law of motion. What is the 2nd law?
8.How is the 1st law a special case of the 2nd law?
9.What is friction?
10.How is it caused?
11.What are its various types?
12.Arrange them in ascending order of their magnitude.
13.How is friction useful to us? State 2 reasons.
14.What do you like in history?
15.Why do you like this era? (I said that ideas were changing)
16.Where were ideas changing?
17.Why were they changing?
18.Who were changing them?
19.Name some people and universities related to this change.
20.What do you like in Indian History?( I said that the revolt of 1857)
21.What was this revolt?( I said that it was a national struggle)
22.Was India a nation at that time?
23.You would have visited Meerut. Tell us about it.(concerned with the revolt)
24.The civics teacher took charge.
25.What is the Commonwealth body?
26.Which country is its President?
27.What is UNO?
28.When was it founded?
29.What are its bodies?
30.Who is the Secretary General of the Security Council?
31.The Bio expert asked-What is a balanced diet?
32.What are its components?
33.What do you know about conservation?
34.What is flora and fauna?
35.What is your opinion about the recent cloud burst in Leh?
36.Would it impact the flora and fauna of the region? Why? How?
37.As I was from an army background, they asked me who was the commander in chief of the army?(Answer- the President)
38.They asked me to go and I thanked them .
My Sincere Advice:-
Keep on smiling. Stay Calm. Carry your important certificates with you. Don’t argue. Don’t confront. Don’t try to give flukes and fake answers. Say SORRY when you don’t know an answer. STAY CONFIDENT. Prepare every question that can arise from your Bio data. Take care of body language.
ALL THE BEST

I would warn any students against going into a competition like this as, based on the above poster's comments, the process appears to be extremely subjective, and arbitrary.

allshubham96 said:
3.Tell about your family.
How does information about one's family affect the candidacy for a scholarship? This smells a lot like a veil for discrimination based on one's socio-economic background.

allshubham96 said:
4.Why are you so lean and thin?(I am very slim and thin)
What does this have to do with anything? Honestly if someone asked me something like this I'd turn around and walk out.

5.There is a ratio between height and weight. Do you know it? Do you follow it?
The body mass index - are you kidding me? This metric is useless.

27.What is UNO?
Please tell me you said it was a card game.

31.The Bio expert asked-What is a balanced diet?
This sounds like more evidence of an extremely subjective process. If this person happened to be a vegan he might easily disagree with what other people find to be a perfectly acceptable diet - or the other way around.

I don't know what this scholarship is for. Maybe they're just evaluating you on how you answer personal questions rather than the content of your answer - but based on this person's post, it doesn't sound like a fair or unbiased process to me.

1. How should I prepare for the NTSE National Level interview in 2005?

To prepare for the NTSE National Level interview in 2005, it is important to familiarize yourself with the exam format and syllabus. You should also practice solving previous year's question papers and attend coaching classes if necessary. Additionally, focus on strengthening your general knowledge, critical thinking, and communication skills.

2. What are the specific topics that I should focus on for the NTSE National Level interview?

The NTSE National Level interview covers a wide range of topics, including general knowledge, current affairs, science, mathematics, and social studies. It is important to have a strong understanding of all these subjects and be able to apply your knowledge in real-life situations.

3. How can I improve my communication skills for the NTSE National Level interview?

To improve your communication skills, you can practice by participating in group discussions, debates, and mock interviews. You can also read newspapers, magazines, and books to enhance your vocabulary and gain knowledge on various topics.

4. Are there any tips to help me stay calm and confident during the NTSE National Level interview?

One tip to stay calm and confident during the interview is to practice deep breathing and positive self-talk. You should also familiarize yourself with common interview questions and practice answering them in front of a mirror or with friends and family. Finally, remember to stay well-rested and hydrated before the interview.

5. What is the importance of time management during the NTSE National Level interview?

Time management is crucial during the NTSE National Level interview as it shows your ability to prioritize tasks and work efficiently under pressure. Make sure to arrive early for the interview and allocate time appropriately for each question or task. If you find yourself stuck on a question, move on to the next one and come back to it later.