Is the Nuclear Arms Race Making a Comeback?

In summary: That's not what Trump said. Trump said that countries that are not contributing should be prepared to defend themselves. The US has been paying disproportionately.
David Reeves said:
I think the answer to your question is yes, the top photo suggests a better future.
The top photo depicts MIRVs from a Peacekeeper ICBM during testing at Kwajalein atoll. It's neither better nor a future.

Likes 1oldman2
Physics news on Phys.org
Bandersnatch said:
The top photo depicts MIRVs from a Peacekeeper ICBM during testing at Kwajalein atoll. It's neither better nor a future.
Your absolutely correct on all counts, I posted the wrong image by mistake and didn't edit it in time. (The second image isn't the Tsar Bomba, I'm pretty sure that was a French, South Sea test).

Bandersnatch said:
Yes, and, to be explicit, each of those 'rays' represents a potential atomic warhead descending from the sky. The single missile that is launched breaks into eight independently guided parts in flight, each of which is guided to a separate target, for example: eight different cities. The Russians now have, or are claiming they have, a missile that breaks into ten (not just eight) separate parts, which is what's behind their claim they have one missile that can destroy a whole country (France-sized).

Bandersnatch said:

I had no idea what is was, but it suggested to me something good, namely a simultaneous neutralization of all nuclear assets all over the globe. A sort of first strike for peace. It's just a fantasy for now. But perhaps a qualitative jump in technology could allow this to become reality. I really don't know, it's just a science fiction scenario. What would it really look like? Perhaps it would be invisible.

zoobyshoe said:
The Russians now have, or are claiming they have, a missile that breaks into ten (not just eight) separate parts,
Same with Peacekeeper - it was a 10-warhead missile. The picture either didn't catch all, or the test used a limited setup.

There is a non-serious proposal to disarm nuclear weapons. The downside: you need an absurdly powerful particle accelerator, and you also disarm everything around them.

Likes mheslep and Aufbauwerk 2045
Bandersnatch said:
Same with Peacekeeper - it was a 10-warhead missile. The picture either didn't catch all, or the test used a limited setup.
Yes, you're right:
The Peacekeeper was a MIRV missile that could carry up to 10 re-entry vehicles, each armed with a 300-kiloton W87 warhead in a Mk.21 reentry vehicle (RV). A total of 50 missiles were deployed starting in 1986, after a long and contentious development program that traced its roots into the 1960s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGM-118_Peacekeeper

And the new Russian missile doesn't actually represent an improvement in 'firepower,' so to speak, the improvement is:

But with the introduction of the Satan 2, the electronics, targeting, and reliability will noticeably improve over that of the older missile.
http://www.businessinsider.com/russia-nuclear-missile-satan-2-2016-10

edit:
Its large payload would allow for up to 10 heavy warheads or 15 lighter ones or up to 24 hypersonic glide vehicles Yu-71,[4][5] or a combination of warheads and massive amounts of countermeasures designed to defeat anti-missile systems;[6][7] it was heralded by the Russian military as a response to the U.S. Prompt Global Strike.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-28_Sarmat

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
What I think Presidents Trump and Putin both want is to keep their populations poor and scared. Buy more bombs and make U.S./U.S.S.R. great again is what they are saying, but what they mean is "Buy more bombs and make my corrupt friends even richer."

I don't know if this thread is one of the banned threads that will soon be closed. Is this politics?

In any case, once we put aside some rather silly fantasies, including my own science-fiction scenario, the reality is that we are living on borrowed time, until the leaders of all the nuclear powers get together and agree on total nuclear disarmament. Our tech people are working on missile defense. But it seems that could be overcome by building enough missiles to overwhelm the defense. Putin made that point years ago.

Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
I don't know if this thread is one of the banned threads that will soon be closed. Is this politics?
Yes

In general, politicians make statements for various reasons. I don't think any of the two economies is ready for another cold war.

Stavros Kiri said:
politicians make statements for various reasons.
That's what politicians do, it's a requirement for the job.