Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear control simulators

Tags:
  1. Jun 24, 2015 #1
    Are there any good Nuclear control simulators, that can simulate the feel of the controls, and simulate the response from the reactor?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2015 #2
    Yes. Every plant has one that the operators train on (per US NRC regulation following Three Mile Island). Each one looks like an exact duplicate of the real control room: the panels and control switches etc. are the same as the real ones so the feel is as close to identical as possible. The plant response is simulated by computer models.

4. Jun 25, 2015 #3
    For home use:

The ACME BWR Simulator does a decent job of simulating and explaining the startup of a BWR reactor.

I used it to prepare for getting my BWR senior reactor operator license.

http://bwr.software.informer.com/4.5/

It has a built in training "SRO Certification" program. There are normal program help files, then there are also help files which explain the BWR and operational physics. If you have any questions let me know.

There are a few things that it doesn't do well. It doesn't respond properly when you hit the point of adding heat, which I think is the biggest issue with it. But the controls and interlocks/behaviors of the system is very similar to an actual BWR plant.

As for professional use, I train in a fully scale simulator of the control room every 5-6 weeks. It behaves and responds almost exactly like the plant does.

5. Jul 14, 2015 #4
    If you are in the US you might get a tour of a simulator used in a nuclear plant training center. If you are in the Southeast I will show you around our sim myself.

@Hiddencamper
    BFN here, where are you?

6. Jul 16, 2015 #5
    Clinton.

7. Jul 16, 2015 #6
    I hope things turn to the good for you guys...

8. Jul 18, 2015 #7

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Clinton plant; Illinois or the Southeast?

I would love to get a tour. I did much of the modeling for the very first such simulator. Dresden 2 simulator, 1967-68.

I bet things are much different now. Would love to see. We could swap,stories, now versus then.

9. Jul 20, 2015 #8
    I'm at BFN (Alabama) and Hiddencamper is at Clinton (IL.)

Let me know if you are ever nearby and I will show you what I can.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook