Nuclear Decay Problem: 238U to 206Pb & Atom's Age

In summary, after U-238 has a half-life of 5.27 billion years, it will have decayed to 90Th234, 2He4, and U-234. The atom is approximately 4.6 billion years old.
pattiecake
The question is: Assume an atom just became Lead-206--why would such an assumption be important?--when it was orginally Uranium-238. Show all the steps it took to get from 238U to 206Pb. For each step, indicate the nature of the decay. Assume also that it spent exactly 1 half-life as each of the intermediate isotopes. Finally, how old is this atom?

I'm working on an assignment that's not due for awhile, and being we just started our inorganic chem. course, I really don't understand the major concepts here at all. Not that I'm asking anyone to do my homework here, but maybe you can start me off with some things I'm confused on, like...

1) What initiates decay?
2) How do you know how many particles the atom gives off at one time? (i.e. hydrogen vs. helium)
3) How the heck do you know what kind of energy it will give off?

Physics news on Phys.org
1)Decay is initiated randomly, controlled by the half-life, lifetime, or mean life parameters.
2)the same parameter tells you how many by unit of time; that is probability.
3)the mass difference becomes energy

Hi Arivero, thanks for your response!

Given what you've told me...we have 238Ur-->Th + ?

How can I determine the probability of what is going to happen, and use that to complete the reaction?

There are two types of decay mode for radioisotopes between Pb and U,

beta decay and alpha decay.

In beta decay, a nucleus emits a beta particle (electron, e[sup-[/sup]) and an antineutrino (neutral and very low mass), but the important thing is that the atomic mass (number of nucleons) does not change, but the atomic number (Z) increases by 1.

In alpha decay, a nuclear emits an alpha particle (nucleus of 2He4), and so the atomic mass decreases by 4 and the atomic number by 2.

So 92U238 --> 90Th234 + 2He4

This may be of use with your problem

http://wwwndc.tokai.jaeri.go.jp/CN04/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Astronuc...btw, where is Uluru?

So does the atom just keep emitting an alpha particle until it reaches the atomic number corresponding to lead? Shouldn't there be something more complicated here?

http://www.worldwindcentral.com/hotspots/view_hotspot.php?id=446 is in the heart of Australia - Latitude : -25.3742, Longitude : 131.037

See also - Uluru at sunset

Actually, I live not too far from Pittsburgh, just north of NYC.

So does the atom just keep emitting an alpha particle until it reaches the atomic number corresponding to lead? Shouldn't there be something more complicated here?
Yes, it's a little more complicated, because some radionuclides emit beta particles.

See U238 decay scheme at - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/radser.html#c3

Isotopes of At, Rn, Bi and Po may have dual mode decay either alpha or beta, but only one occurs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or more completely, I think!

Astronuc said:
There are two types of decay mode for radioisotopes between Pb and U, beta decay and alpha decay.

So 92U238 --> 90Th234 + 2He4

U-238 - alpha --> Th-234 - beta --> Pa-234 - beta --> U-234 - alpha -->
Th-230 - alpha --> RA-226 - alpha --> Rn-222 - alpha --> Po-218 - alpha
--> Pb-214 - beta --> Bi-214 - beta --> Po-214 - alpha --> Pb-210 - beta
--> Bi-210 - beta --> Po-210 - alpha --> Pb-206 <-- Tl-205 + neutron

Cheers, Jim

Thanks everyone for your help...

I'm still not seeing how Th234 emits a beta particle. Can't it just emit an alpha, bringing us to 230Ra? What does it emit a beta, what factors control this?

Radioactive decay of a nucleus is a stochastic phenomenon. One cannot determine when a particular nucleus will decay, and if there are two possible modes, by which mode it will decay. That's one of the natural mysteries.

We do know that if we have a large population of a radionuclide, after one half-life, approximately one-half of that population will have decayed.

Let me dig around to see if I can find some additional information on the choice of decay modes.

Q: What is nuclear decay and how does it contribute to the aging of an atom?

Nuclear decay is the process by which an unstable atom loses energy and transforms into a more stable form. This process involves the emission of particles or energy from the atom's nucleus. Over time, repeated nuclear decays can change the identity and properties of the atom, ultimately contributing to its aging.

Q: What is the significance of the 238U to 206Pb decay problem in determining the age of an atom?

The 238U to 206Pb decay problem is significant because it is a common method used to determine the age of rocks and minerals. This decay chain involves the radioactive decay of uranium-238 into lead-206, which has a half-life of over 4 billion years. By measuring the ratio of these two elements in a sample, scientists can calculate the age of the material.

Q: How accurate is the 238U to 206Pb decay problem in determining the age of an atom?

The 238U to 206Pb decay problem is a highly accurate method for determining the age of an atom. This is because the half-life of uranium-238 is very long, and the decay process is consistent and predictable. However, there are potential sources of error, such as contamination or the presence of other radioactive elements, that scientists must account for in their calculations.

Q: How do scientists use the 238U to 206Pb decay problem to determine the age of the Earth?

Scientists use the 238U to 206Pb decay problem to determine the age of the Earth by analyzing the age of rocks and minerals found on the planet's surface. By measuring the ratio of uranium-238 to lead-206 in these materials, scientists can estimate the age of the Earth to be around 4.54 billion years.

Q: Can the 238U to 206Pb decay problem be used to determine the age of any atom?

No, the 238U to 206Pb decay problem is only applicable to the age determination of rocks and minerals. This is because it relies on the presence of uranium-238, which is primarily found in these materials. Other radioactive elements and decay chains may be used to determine the age of different types of atoms, depending on their properties and abundance in nature.