1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear Decay

1. Sep 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a sample of one litre of carbon dioxide at STP an average of 5 disintegrations

C -> N + e + v

are observed per minute. Calculate the atomic fraction of C present if the mean lifetime of this nucleus is 8267 years.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\tau[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex]-1 = 8267 years

N(t) = N0 * [tex]e[/tex]-[tex](\omega[/tex] * t)

3. The attempt at a solution

First I found [tex]\tau[/tex] = 2.607 * 1011 seconds.

And really I'm at a loss of where to go next. I figure N(t)/N0 is what im looking for but I cannot solve for this without knowing the time t and I do not know where the 5 disintegrations per minute comes in. I'm not looking for an answer(already know it), i just want a little push in the right direction.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since there are an average of 5 disintegrations per minute, you would expect:

[tex] N(t)-N(t+60s)=5 [/tex]...can you take it from there?
  4. Sep 15, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

One can find the total amount of carbon from "one litre of carbon dioxide" - simply find the moles of CO2 in 1 liter at STP. It would appear that one is to find the atomic fraction of radiocarbon or C-14.

The activity, decays per unit time, is the product of the decay constant [itex]\lambda[/itex] and the number of atoms of the radionuclide present, i.e. A(t) = [itex]\lambda[/itex] N(t). One is given A, so find N.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?