Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Nuclear Decay

1. Sep 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a sample of one litre of carbon dioxide at STP an average of 5 disintegrations

C -> N + e + v

are observed per minute. Calculate the atomic fraction of C present if the mean lifetime of this nucleus is 8267 years.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\tau[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex]-1 = 8267 years

N(t) = N0 * [tex]e[/tex]-[tex](\omega[/tex] * t)

3. The attempt at a solution

First I found [tex]\tau[/tex] = 2.607 * 1011 seconds.

And really I'm at a loss of where to go next. I figure N(t)/N0 is what im looking for but I cannot solve for this without knowing the time t and I do not know where the 5 disintegrations per minute comes in. I'm not looking for an answer(already know it), i just want a little push in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since there are an average of 5 disintegrations per minute, you would expect:

[tex] N(t)-N(t+60s)=5 [/tex]...can you take it from there?

4. Sep 15, 2008 #3

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One can find the total amount of carbon from "one litre of carbon dioxide" - simply find the moles of CO2 in 1 liter at STP. It would appear that one is to find the atomic fraction of radiocarbon or C-14.

The activity, decays per unit time, is the product of the decay constant [itex]\lambda[/itex] and the number of atoms of the radionuclide present, i.e. A(t) = [itex]\lambda[/itex] N(t). One is given A, so find N.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook