Calculating TNT Needed to Match Energy of 1 Gram U-235

In summary, the explosive trinitrotoluene (TNT) releases 2.760 kJ of energy when 1.00 g is detonated. To match the energy released by 1 gram of U-235, which contains 2.56*10^21 nuclei, approximately 2.6*10^7 grams of TNT would be needed. This calculation is based on the energy density ratio of ~2E7 between these two materials.
Cudi1

Homework Statement

Nuclear energy changes are significantly greater than chemical changes. The detonation of 1.00 g of the explosive trinitrotoluene (TNT) releases 2.760 kJ. How many grams of TNT would be needed to match the energy released by one gram of U-235?
( 1 gram of U-235 contains 2.56*10^21 nuclei)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, it is a continuation of the previous question in which i found that the amount of energy released in fission of U-235 nucleus is 2.82*10^-11J.
what i did was multiply (2.82*10^-11)(2.56*10^21)= 7.22*10^7kJ, i then divided that amount
7.22*10^7kJ/2.760kJ= 2.6*10^7 ( although the units are not in grams , what am i doing wrong)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you did it right. I checked Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density), and I also find the ratio of the energy density of these two materials to be ~2E7. Why do you think it is wrong? Your final answer is a ratio, so it is unitless.

1. How is the energy of TNT measured?

The energy of TNT is measured in kilojoules (kJ) or megajoules (MJ). This is the amount of heat released when TNT undergoes a chemical reaction, typically an explosion.

2. What is the energy equivalent of 1 gram of U-235?

1 gram of U-235 has an energy equivalent of approximately 18.6 kilotons (kt) of TNT. This means that the energy released from 1 gram of U-235 is equivalent to the energy released from detonating 18.6 kilotons of TNT.

3. How is the amount of TNT needed to match the energy of 1 gram of U-235 calculated?

The amount of TNT needed can be calculated using the energy equivalence factor of 1 gram of U-235 to 18.6 kilotons of TNT. This means that for every 1 gram of U-235, 18.6 kilotons of TNT will be needed to match its energy output.

4. Can the energy of 1 gram of U-235 be matched with a different type of explosive?

Yes, the energy of 1 gram of U-235 can be matched with other types of explosives such as RDX or HMX. However, the amount of these explosives needed to match the energy output of 1 gram of U-235 may vary.

5. Why is it important to calculate the amount of TNT needed to match the energy of 1 gram of U-235?

It is important to calculate this amount for safety purposes. By knowing the amount of TNT needed, proper safety measures can be taken to prevent accidental explosions and minimize potential damage.