Nuclear Engineer: Enlist or Pursue Software Job?

In summary, the speaker has recently graduated with a degree in nuclear engineering and has been struggling to find a job in the industry. They are currently considering enlisting in the Navy Nuclear Program, but their family and friends believe it would be a waste of their degree. They have also been offered a job in software, but have little experience in that field. The speaker is seeking advice from those who have served in the Navy or have transferred careers in the government, and is questioning if it is a waste to enlist for more experience or education. The other speaker suggests that enlisting without a strong sense of motivation may be risky.
theCandyman
Hello,

I got my BS in nuclear engineering last December, and I've been trying to find a job in the nuclear industry and not had much luck. I've been looking into enlisting in the Navy Nuclear Program and am actually right now in the Delayed Entry Program. However, all my family and friends are saying that enlisting with my degree is a waste. My mother even went so far as to talk with a friend of hers who spoke to her husband to find me a job at the local Air Force base. I've been offered a job, but it's in software with which I haven't had much experience but I won't have any problem learning it.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's been in the Navy, or anyone who's transferred between careers in the government. Is it a waste to enlist when I have a degree if I'm only looking for more experience or education? Is it easy to transfer between jobs in the governemnt?

Thank you
Daniel

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems insufficient motivation to me. I just listened to the News and there was a harrowing story about a young Brit. who was killed out in Afghanistan. His parents were able to cope because he had always wanted to be a soldier, it was his 'calling'. If you end up in a danger zone and get kiiled what will your parents say? "He was only looking for more education." Listen to your friends and family.

theCandyman said:
Hello,

I got my BS in nuclear engineering last December, and I've been trying to find a job in the nuclear industry and not had much luck.

I find that very surprising. Where are you? Can you send me your resume?

1. What is a nuclear engineer in software?

A nuclear engineer in software is a professional who specializes in using software and computer programs to design, analyze, and improve nuclear power systems. They use their knowledge of nuclear physics, thermodynamics, and computer science to create and maintain software that is essential to the operation of nuclear energy facilities.

2. What education and training is required to become a nuclear engineer in software?

To become a nuclear engineer in software, one typically needs at least a bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science, or a related field. Some employers may also require a master's degree or higher. Additionally, specialized training in nuclear engineering and software development is usually necessary.

3. What skills are essential for a nuclear engineer in software?

A nuclear engineer in software must have a strong background in nuclear engineering principles and computer science. They should also be proficient in programming languages such as C++, Python, and Java. Other important skills include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team.

4. What are the main responsibilities of a nuclear engineer in software?

The main responsibilities of a nuclear engineer in software may include developing and maintaining software systems for nuclear power plants, analyzing and interpreting data from nuclear reactors, and ensuring compliance with safety regulations. They may also collaborate with other engineers and scientists to improve the efficiency and safety of nuclear energy systems.

5. What career opportunities are available for nuclear engineers in software?

Nuclear engineers in software can find employment in a variety of industries, including nuclear power generation, government agencies, and research institutions. They may also work for software development companies that specialize in nuclear energy. With experience and advanced education, they can advance to positions such as senior software engineer, project manager, or research scientist.