1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear Engineering Major vs Mechanical Engineering Major with NE Minor

1. Jan 7, 2013 #1
    I've been doing some research on nuclear engineering curricula and have narrowed down a couple universities of interest. The first, Penn State, offers a major in Nuclear Engineering. The other school of interest, University of Maryland, offers a major in Mechanical Engineering with a Nuclear Engineering minor. The latter feels more robust after looking through the course catalogs, however I am very much more interested in the nuclear side of things. Maybe if a minor was combined with the NE major it would feel more competitive (though I don't know what a good complementary minor would be). If I am really hell bent on nuclear stuff, should I skip over an ME major? The things I am very interested in learning about are plasma physics, fusion, and radiation effects. The ME topics that sound most interesting to me are thermodynamics and fluid mechanics. These seem to be commonly included in the NE world anyway.

Or perhaps I am looking at the wrong schools for these things? I don't want to venture too far from home. I am also a prior college student that has been working for a few years (didn't have great grades my first time around) so the chances of shooting for a technical school like MIT are nil.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted