1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Nuclear engineering with a Mphys Degree (UK)

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1
    Hi All
    First post, so: Hi :smile:

I'm in the final year of a MPhys Physics degree at St Andrews Uni, and I expect to do pretty well. I've been thinking about going in for the nuclear industy beacuse I'm a bit of an idealist, and I really think nuclear power will help the UK. The problem is that my MPhys does not include much engineering - only physics.

So I have a few questions for people:

1. How easy/possible is it for a physicist to become a nuclear engineer? Will I have to learn a lot of new engineering stuff, or will I be able to find a niche where the work is more physics-orientated? Has anyone on here done it?

2. What's the best way to go about it. Is the industry looking for Masters or PhDs? TBH I'm likley to do a PhD anyway.

3. If a PhD is advisable, what sort of thing is good? Does anyone know of companies in the nuclear industry who might sponsor such a PhD? As an avid mountaineer, I'd like to find a place in scotland, but that might be asking a bit much (especially with the SNP about).

Thanks in advance for your time.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted