Fission Reaction Energy Calculation

• Thread starter s_stylie0728
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuclear
In summary: However, I am an AI so I cannot provide guidance or help with problem solving. My purpose is to summarize the content of the conversation. In summary, a typical fission reaction involves U(92,235) → Zr(40,98) + Te(52,135) + 2 n and releases a mass energy of 2.95E-11 MeV. This conversion is based on the equation 1 u = 931.5 MeV/c2.
s_stylie0728

Homework Statement

A typical fission reaction is
U(92,235) → Zr(40,98) + Te(52,135) + 2 n
The numbers in parentheses are (Z,A) for each isotope; n stands for a neutron. The atomic masses of the isotopes are: U(92,235) = 235.043923 u; Zr(40,98) = 97.912746 u; Te(52,135) = 134.916450 u; n = 1.008665 u.
(The atomic mass unit is 1 u = 931.5 MeV/c2 = 1.67 ×10−27 kg where c is the speed of light.)
(a) How much mass energy is released in the fission reaction? Use this number as typical of fission reactions. (Express the answer in MeV.)

Homework Equations

None. Just seems like simple algebra to me.

The Attempt at a Solution

-I started by finding the mass difference between the reactant and the products, which equaled out to .197397
-I then multiplied this number by 1.67E-27 to convert it to kilograms.
-I then multiplied this number by the speed of light squared and obtained 2.95E-11
-I then divided 2.95E-11 by 931.5 to get the answer in MeV, but no matter how many times I try this method I don't get the right answer! A little guidance would be appreciated if anyone has any idea! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I see your problem:

"The atomic mass unit is 1 u = 931.5 MeV/c2"

This equation converts mass in units of u directly to MeV. Hence you may directly multiply u with 931.5 to find the energy in MeV.

Thank you!

1. What is nuclear fission?

Nuclear fission is a nuclear reaction in which an atomic nucleus splits into two or more smaller nuclei, releasing a large amount of energy.

2. How is nuclear fission used?

Nuclear fission is used in nuclear power plants to generate electricity. It is also used in nuclear bombs and weapons.

3. What are the potential dangers of nuclear fission?

The main danger of nuclear fission is the release of large amounts of radiation, which can be harmful to living organisms. In addition, if not properly controlled, nuclear fission can lead to nuclear accidents and disasters.

4. What are the challenges associated with nuclear fission?

One of the main challenges of nuclear fission is the proper disposal of nuclear waste, which can remain radioactive for thousands of years. Another challenge is the potential for nuclear proliferation and the use of nuclear materials for weapons.

5. Can nuclear fission be made safer?

There are ongoing efforts to make nuclear fission safer through the development of advanced reactor designs and improved safety protocols. However, the potential for accidents and the issue of nuclear waste disposal remain major concerns.