• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Nuclear force saturation

• Thread starter GD_Green
  • Start date
I have solutions to a past paper essay question that indicates that the student should explain the saturation of the nuclear force in terms of the stability of the helium nucleus. I do not see how to do this, I can only explain the saturation of the force in that the nuclear biniding energy is proprtional to A, not A squared.
So, how does the stability of the helium nucleus indicate the nuclear force is saturated?

Answers and Replies

OlderDan
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
GD_Green said:
I have solutions to a past paper essay question that indicates that the student should explain the saturation of the nuclear force in terms of the stability of the helium nucleus. I do not see how to do this, I can only explain the saturation of the force in that the nuclear biniding energy is proprtional to A, not A squared.
So, how does the stability of the helium nucleus indicate the nuclear force is saturated?
This might be of some help

http://www.applet-magic.com/semiempirical.htm

At a fairly simple level, I think the stability of the helium nucleus is an indication of saturation because there are no stable nuclei with 5 nucleons, indicating that there is not enough force to bind and additional nucleon to a helium nucleus. Hence, saturation

Thank you very much.