1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear force

1. Dec 16, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Which of the following forces is responsible for the scattering of an alpha particle by a gold atom in the Geiger-Marsden experiment?

A. electrostatic force between the alpha particle and the electrons of the gold atom

B. Electrostatic force between the alpha particle and the nucleus of the gold atom.

C. Gravitational force between the alpha particle and the nucleus of the gold atom

D. Nuclear force between the alpha particle and the nucleus of the gold atom.

2. Relevant equations

nil

3. The attempt at a solution

I 've chosen B and this is correct.
    But I don't know what 's the meaning of 'nuclear force' in option D.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The nuclear force was considered to be one of the fundamental forces and can be thought of to act between nucleons. However, the 'nuclear force' is now understood in terms of the strong interaction (in QCD) which acts between gluons, quarks and anti-quarks, however I feel this is a little deeper than you need to go. Unless you are studying Physics at Degree level, then all you need to know is that the strong nuclear force acts between nucleons and is strongly attractive, except at small distances where it becomes strongly repulsive.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?