Nuclear Fusion and Fission

In summary: When one of these nuclei fissions, they generally split into two large fragments and they release some more neutrons. If you add up the masses of the fragments and the released neutrons, you will find that the total mass is less than the mass of the original nucleus and the neutron that initiated the fission. This mass defect is converted to energy in accordance with Einstein's famous relationship.
expscv
could anyone explian how do we get energy from the nuclear fusion and fission
thx

isnt that fission requires bindling energy which use up energy

Physics news on Phys.org
If you look at the graph of binding energy per nulceon against atomic number, you'll realize that elements around the position of iron have the highest binding energy. Fission occurs only in elements which have an atomic number much larger than iron(ie. uranium), and fusion occurs in elements with a smaller atomic number compared to iron(i.e. hydrogen). Both extract energy through converting part of their mass into energy.

great thx, in my knowledge (correct me if i am wrong)

fusion is when combines light nucleon or elements and realese of enrgy due to mass defec.

Bindling energy is the energy needed to separate all nucleons from nucleus.
(now i try to describe fission in terms of bindlng energy and fusion)

so when separate each nucleon from the nucleus, energy is applied, but some nucleson re-jion after that , so fusion takes place and some mass is lost, therefore the energy must be realsed as well.

did i got anything wrong?

thx

expscv said:
so when separate each nucleon from the nucleus, energy is applied, but some nucleson re-jion after that , so fusion takes place and some mass is lost, therefore the energy must be realsed as well.

did i got anything wrong?

thx

First fission occurs only in very heavy nuclei such as uranium, thorium, or plutonium. Although there is some spontaneous fission in both uranium and plutonium (not sure about thorium), most fission events occur when one of these nuclei absorbs a free neutron. When one of these nuclei fission, they generally split into two large fragments and they release some more neutrons. If you add up the masses of the fragments and the released neutrons, you will find that the total mass is less than the mass of the original nucleus and the neutron that initiated the fission. This mass defect is converted to energy in accordance with Einstein's famous relationship.

So, no "refusion" occurs.

1. What is the difference between nuclear fusion and fission?

Nuclear fusion is the process of combining two or more atomic nuclei to form a heavier nucleus, while nuclear fission is the process of splitting a heavy nucleus into two or more smaller nuclei. In fusion, energy is released when small nuclei combine, while in fission, energy is released when large nuclei split apart.

2. How is energy produced in nuclear fusion and fission reactions?

In nuclear fusion, energy is produced when lighter elements combine, releasing a large amount of energy. In nuclear fission, energy is produced when a heavy nucleus splits into smaller nuclei, releasing a large amount of energy and neutrons.

3. What are the potential benefits and risks of nuclear fusion and fission?

Nuclear fusion has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy, as it produces no greenhouse gases and uses abundant fuel sources. However, the technology is still in development and faces challenges such as containing the high temperatures and pressures required for fusion reactions. Nuclear fission, on the other hand, is currently used in nuclear power plants to generate electricity, but it also produces radioactive waste that must be carefully managed to avoid environmental and health risks.

4. How do nuclear fusion and fission reactions differ in terms of their applications?

Nuclear fusion has not yet been harnessed for practical use, but researchers are working on developing fusion reactors that could potentially generate electricity. Fission, on the other hand, is currently used to generate electricity in nuclear power plants and also has applications in nuclear weapons.

5. What are the main challenges in achieving practical nuclear fusion reactions?

The main challenges in achieving practical nuclear fusion reactions include creating and maintaining the extremely high temperatures and pressures required for fusion to occur, finding suitable materials to contain the reactions, and developing efficient methods for extracting and using the energy produced. Additionally, the technology is still in the early stages of development and requires significant funding and research to overcome these challenges.