Nuclear G-Factor: Exploring the Lande Calculation

• I
  • Thread starter teroenza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuclear
In summary, the Wikipedia page for the Lande g-factor discusses the different values of g_I and g_j for protons and electrons. The approximation of g_I being smaller than g_j is justified by the ratio of electron mass to proton mass, while g_s, g_L, and g_I have different values for atoms and nucleii due to variations in J, S, and F.
teroenza
Looking at the Wikipedia page for the Lande g-factor, I'm a bit confused. I thought that [itex] g_I\approx5.585[/itex], that of the proton, but then there is the line saying that
This last approximation is justified because g_I is smaller than g_j by the ratio of the electron mass to the proton mass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landé_g-factor

It makes sense that the nuclear and Bohr magnetons would differ by the mass ratio, but I thought [itex] g_s \approx 2[/itex], [itex]g_L=1 [/itex], and [itex] g_I\approx5.585[/itex]. Then the additional factors in the Lande calculation would account for the different [itex]J,S,F [/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that the Wiki page is discussing atoms rather than nucleii.

You're right. I was confusing the nuclear g-factor of a proton with the nuclear g-factor of an atom.

1. What is the Nuclear G-Factor?

The Nuclear G-Factor is a dimensionless quantity used to describe the interaction between the nuclear spin and the magnetic field in a nucleus. It is calculated using the Lande formula, which takes into account the angular momentum and magnetic moment of the nucleus.

2. How is the Nuclear G-Factor calculated?

The Nuclear G-Factor is calculated using the Lande formula: G = J(J+1) + S(S+1) - L(L+1), where J is the total angular momentum, S is the spin, and L is the orbital angular momentum. This calculation takes into account the quantum mechanical properties of the nucleus.

3. Why is the Nuclear G-Factor important?

The Nuclear G-Factor is important because it provides insight into the structure and properties of the nucleus. It is also used in experiments to measure the magnetic moments of nuclei, which can give information about the nuclear structure and the fundamental forces at play in the nucleus.

4. Can the Nuclear G-Factor be measured?

Yes, the Nuclear G-Factor can be measured through various experiments, such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and electron magnetic resonance (EMR). These experiments involve applying a magnetic field to the nucleus and measuring the resulting energy levels, from which the G-Factor can be determined.

5. How does the Nuclear G-Factor differ between nuclei?

The Nuclear G-Factor can vary between different nuclei, as it is dependent on the angular momentum and magnetic moment of each individual nucleus. This means that different nuclei can have different values of G, which can provide valuable information about the nuclear structure and properties.