1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear Magnetic Field

1. Dec 12, 2006 #1
    Radio astronomers have found that besides its optical spectral lines,hydrogen exhibits a radio spectral line at a wavelenght of 21cm.This spectral line arises from the interaction between magnetic moment of the electron and the magnetic moment of the nucleus.The electron is located within the magnetic field generated by the magnetic moment of the nucleus ,and when electron flips from the spin up to spin down orientation in this magnetic field ,it emits a photon at 21cm wavelenght.

What is the value of the nuclear magnetic field at the average poston of the electron?

I dont understand what is meant by average position ,since there is only spin up or down .MAybe i am on wrong track!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2006 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They probably mean 0.529 Angstrom, the radius of the first Bohr orbit.
    The electron position is described by a wave function that is spread out, but
    its average distance is 0.529 Angstrom.

4. Dec 12, 2006 #3
    I still dont get it

I still dotn get it.

if hc/lambda=g(mi)B

where
    g=gyromagnetic number
    B=magnetic field

how do i get g and mi ?

5. Dec 12, 2006 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?