Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear magnetic resonance

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    Nuclear magnetic resonance!!!

Hello all,i was studying about nuclear magnetic resonance,what i came to know is the study of nucleus in presence of magnetic field and then considering the possible states. But sir/madam what i dont understand here is using the word "RESONANCE". What it signifies here? What does it mean here. I hope you have understand question??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Nuclear magnetic resonance!!!

When the frequence is equal to the instrisic frequence of the particle, the probability for being in a certain spin state increases extremley much. -> See Rabi's formula

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qm/lectures/node58.html

So when the perturbation frequence (the freq of magnetic field) = E_2 - E_1 => You'll have a resonance.

4. Oct 1, 2008 #3

Thank you so much sir.

5. Oct 1, 2008 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

NP

So what you do is that you scan with different frequencies of applied magnetic field, then measure the response (how much energy that is emited back as form of photons when turning of magnetic field). After this you have obtained a spectrum, and you can determine the denisity of a certain nuclei in a region of the body.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?