What is the distribution of mass in an atomic nucleus?

In summary, the mass on an atomic nucleus is roughly uniformly distributed in the center with sharp edges, although there may be some variations in certain exotic nuclei. The most correct model for mass distribution is not perfectly uniform, but rather resembles a normal distribution. However, this is only an approximation and may not accurately reflect the true distribution.
carllacan
Hi.

This may be a trivial question, but I'm unable to find a definitve answer.

How is the mass on a atomic nucleus distributed?

I read somewhere that it was uniformly distributed, and somewhere else that it resembled a normal distribution. Can you help me out?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
mathman said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_nucleus

Above may help. Short answer - models are approximate.

And according to the most correct model how is the mass distribution like?

Roughly uniform in the center, and then relatively sharp edges. Apart from halo nuclei, but they are exotic and not long-living.

And of course many nuclei are ellipsoidal rather than spherical.

carllacan said:
I read somewhere that it was uniformly distributed, and somewhere else that it resembled a normal distribution. Can you help me out?

If you use a harmonic oscillator potential, then the single-particle wavefunctions will resemble Gaussian shapes (like a normal distribution). But that's an unrealistic feature of the harmonic oscillator potential.

1. What is nuclear mass distribution?

Nuclear mass distribution refers to the way in which the mass of a nucleus is distributed among its constituent particles, such as protons and neutrons.

2. How is nuclear mass distribution determined?

Nuclear mass distribution is determined through experiments such as mass spectrometry and nuclear reactions. The mass of a nucleus can also be calculated using the difference between the mass of the individual particles and the mass of the nucleus.

3. What factors affect nuclear mass distribution?

The primary factors that affect nuclear mass distribution are the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, as well as the arrangement of these particles. The stability of a nucleus is also a factor, as unstable nuclei may undergo radioactive decay and change their mass distribution.

4. Why is nuclear mass distribution important?

Nuclear mass distribution is important because it provides insight into the structure and properties of atomic nuclei. It also plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions and the production of nuclear energy.

5. How does nuclear mass distribution differ between different elements?

The nuclear mass distribution can vary between different elements due to the different number of protons and neutrons in their nuclei. This results in varying levels of stability and potential for nuclear reactions.