Nuclear Physics and binding energy

In summary, the binding energy per nucleon is greater for the daughter nucleus than the parent nucleus.
kihr

Homework Statement

A nucleus of mass M + m1 is at rest and decays into two daughter nuclei of equal mass M/2 each. The binding energy per nucleon for the parent nucleus is A and that for the daughter nucleus is B. Which is greater A or B?

Homework Equations

Binding energy per nucleon= Mass defect of nucleus / mass number

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unable to link the given masses of nuclei (parent and daughters) with their mass defect in the absence of data on A and Z. I need a few hints on how to proceed with tackling this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
think about rest masses & conservation of energy

and remember, all up, there's likely to be the same number of nucleons before and after the decay...

Yes I do understand that in this case there would be a generation of energy because of the difference in rest masses between the parent and daughters. Also I am aware that energy would be conserved, and that this information would help in finding out, for instance, the kinetic energy of the two daughter nuclei. But how does this get linked up with the binding energy per nucleon when I do not know the values of A? Also the concept of binding energy per nucleon is relevant for individual nuclei, the data for which does not appear to be available in the problem. I would request for a few more tips. Thanks.

if you need to, make some assumptions

first assume N nucleons in the parent, each daughter can be assumed to have N/2. Each daughter will have the same BEPN of B, whilst the parent has B.

also decays generally move to a more stable low energy configuration...

If you want to get right down into, make some assumption about the type of decay & put some limits on numbers...

OK. Let me try out the way you have suggested.

Going by the BEPN versus A (mass number) graph, in the case of fission (to which this problem appears to relate) the BEPN for the fission products is less than that of the parent nucleus. If this logic is to be applied A > B should be the correct answer. However, I understand that it is to be the reverse. This is what I am unable to understand. I would appreciate some further guidance. Thanks.

1. What is nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics is a branch of physics that studies the properties and behavior of atomic nuclei, including their structure, interactions, and transformations. It also explores the phenomena related to nuclear energy, such as nuclear reactions and radioactive decay.

2. What is binding energy?

Binding energy is the amount of energy required to break apart a nucleus into its individual nucleons (protons and neutrons). It is a measure of the strength of the forces that hold the nucleus together.

3. How is binding energy related to nuclear stability?

The higher the binding energy of a nucleus, the more stable it is. This is because a higher binding energy means that the nucleus has a stronger binding force holding it together, making it less likely to undergo nuclear reactions or decay.

4. What is the difference between nuclear fusion and nuclear fission?

Nuclear fusion is the process of combining two or more smaller nuclei to form a larger nucleus, while nuclear fission is the process of splitting a larger nucleus into smaller nuclei. Both processes release large amounts of energy due to the conversion of mass into energy.

5. How is nuclear physics used in practical applications?

Nuclear physics has numerous practical applications, including nuclear power generation, nuclear medicine, and nuclear weapons. It is also used in research and development for various technologies, such as nuclear reactors, nuclear waste management, and nuclear propulsion for spacecraft.