1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear physics problem

1. May 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the energy released from the following reaction:-
    2(H) ---> He [mass number for H = 2, atomic number for H = 1, mass number for He = 4, atomic number for He = 2]
    Data: the mass of the H in the reaction = 2.0242 u, and its kinetic energy = 925 M.ev
    and the mass of He = 4.0015 u

2. Relevant equations
    E = mC^2
    minimum energy required to split nucleons = Δm * 931
    mass of nucleus = (Number of protons * mass of protons) + (number of neutrons * mass of neutrons)

3. The attempt at a solution
    i really have no idea how this is done but the only thing i can think of is E = (difference between the masses) * C^2
    so 1.9773 * 3 * 10^8 = 593190000 ??

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2012 #2
    you need to balance the reaction equation out so that you have basically

2(mhydrogen)= 1(mass of helium) + Δm

then you can calculate the difference in mass.
    I can see one mistake and that is that you have used the value for C instead of C^2.
    Also note that the hydrogen has an initial kinetic energy I believe so don't forget to add that

4. May 7, 2012 #3

tms

The nuclear mass also includes the binding energy, that is, the energy that is released when the nucleus splits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook