1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear Physics

1. May 23, 2006 #1

in an accident in a lab a radioactive isotope with a half life of 3 days is spilled - as a result the radiation is 8 times the max. permissible amount, how long must workers wait before they can enter the room.

I am not sure where to even start with this one. Please help!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2006 #2

Gold Member

Do you know what half life means?
  4. May 23, 2006 #3
    half life is the amount of time it takes for the quantity to reduce to half it's initial value.. in this question it takes 3 days for us to get half of the material
  5. May 23, 2006 #4

Gold Member

So this should be fairly straight forward. If you have 8x the amount and it takes 3 days for half to decay away, how long should it take
  6. May 23, 2006 #5

maybe i am missing something here.. but that wouldn't give me 9 as a solution... sorry, I appreciate your help, but am lost on this one.... please help
  7. May 24, 2006 #6
    If the radiation is 8x the maximum, 3 days later (which is 1 half life) the radiation would be 4x maximum. Can ou go from there?
  8. May 25, 2006 #7
    Thanks. Got it now!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?