1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear physics

1. Nov 13, 2007 #1
    hi guys, iam kinda stuck on 2 problems. here is what it is :

The nuclear fission reaction of uranium-235 with one neutron produces germanium-81, 5 neutrons and another element, what element is that? whats the atomic number andatmoic mass,?give the equation.

2. howmuch energy is released in the complete fission of one kg of U-235 oxide? given that energy fission of one atom of uranium is 3.2 x 10^-11 J

Thanks guys
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

show work done. what have you tried?
  4. Nov 13, 2007 #3
    i mentioned i was stuck

the thing u just said in ur reply wont help at all, how would u like me to give u such an answer to ya? you would have been better not replying
  5. Nov 13, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The rules of these forums is that you show work done and that you have attempted a solution. If you have not read the rules, then i suggest you do it.

read "homework help"

Use the template, and if Som eone replied to me in that manner i did to you, i would admit that i have done a misstake and would try to come up with an attempt to a solution.

I can give you a hint, count the number of neutrons and protons before and after the reaction and see what yo u get. (for the first problem)
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  6. Nov 13, 2007 #5

Staff: Mentor

We respectfully request that students show work and effort in solving the HW problems when asking for assistance, as malawi_glenn appropriately indicated.

We know the start U (Z=92, A=235) + 1 n -> Ge(Z=?, A=81) + ??? + 5n.

Determine the change in Z and the balance the neutrons. In a nucleus of an isotope, the number of neutrons N = A - Z, where A is the atomic mass and Z is the atomic number.

One has to go to a chart of nuclides for the actual mass of a particular radionuclide.

http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/ - click on a location in the chart, the use zoom 1, upper right, in order to see details.
  7. Nov 13, 2007 #6

Thanks alot, i appreciate it, sorry i lose temper, but iam under so much pressure in this class. thanx again, I hope i can help you with your questions soon.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?