Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear radius

1. Dec 7, 2007 #1
    Where can I find recent and recommended nuclear radius for all isotopes

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2007 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

depends on what kind of radius you are after.. Nucleis are not solid objects with defined boundaries.

4. Dec 7, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

5. Dec 7, 2007 #4
    there are some experimental and theoretical studies on nuclear radius. but around ten years old. I believe that like a liquid drop, nucleus should have a radius as well.

6. Dec 7, 2007 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then I would say that you lack basic understanding of nuclear physics. The Nucleus is a many body system of quantum particles. Just as the electrons in an atom for example, you have a probability distribution of the nucleons in the nuclei. The liqiud drop model is just a model, in the first order approximation easy speaking. You must treat the nucleus as a quantum entity.

You can define the nuclear radius on many ways, like the half charge-density radius, r.m.s radius, mean radius etc etc.

Then I would like you to specify what kind of defenition for the nuclear radius you are looking for, and for what purpose.

7. Dec 7, 2007 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?