Learning How Nuclear Reactors Work/Are Constructed

In summary, the books "In summary, NeoDevin recommends that students of science and engineering with a good working knowledge of physics, engineering, differential equations, calculus... use either Gregory Greenman's Nuclear reactor Analysis or Daveb's Introduction To Nuclear Engineering."
NeoDevin
Does anyone here know of any books which teach how nuclear reactors work/are constructed?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Introduction To Nuclear Engineering by Lamarsh is generally considered the introudtcory for nuclear engineering students. A more advanced book would be Nuclear reactor Analysis by Duderstadt and Hamilton.

Last edited:
NeoDevin said:
Does anyone here know of any books which teach how nuclear reactors work/are constructed?
NeoDevin,

What level of book do you want?

If you are a student of science and engineering, and have a good working knowledge
of physics, engineering, differential equations, calculus... then I would whole-heartedly
second the recommendations of daveb. The texts by Lamarsh and Duderstadt & Hamilton
are excellent.

However, if you are looking for elementary knowledge of how reactors work - more of
a "layman's" view - then Lamarsh and Duderstadt & Hamilton which are textbooks for
nuclear engineering students would not be what you want.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Thanks Dave and Dr. Greenman.

I am a math physics major (undergrad), so something of that level is what I'm looking for. They canceled the nuclear physics class next year (lack of enrollment), so I was hoping there would be some suggestions.

I'll go look for those two at the library.

Thanks again.

The lamarsh one, my library only has the '75 version.

The other one (Duderstadt & Hamilton) is '76.

Has the field changed much in the time since? Will I be missing anything by using the older versions?

NeoDevin said:
Has the field changed much in the time since? Will I be missing anything by using the older versions?
NeoDevin,

Those will be fine. Those books give you a good foundation in transport theory and its
approximations.

There's nothing new in the "theory" of transport. It's like using Jackson for ElectroMagnetism.

The principles in Jackson haven't really changed since James Clerk Maxwell first
derived his set of equations.

There have been advances in how to solve those equations via computer; but that's
not what is covered in those texts.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Ok, I picked up both of them at the library.

Thanks for the help guys.

NeoDevin said:
The lamarsh one, my library only has the '75 version.

The other one (Duderstadt & Hamilton) is '76.

The core designers still use 2-group diffusion theory. The methods are better, but Lamarsh and Duderstadt & Hamilton are the standards.

Also, Weston Stacey (GaTech) has a decent book.

Im studying Lamarsh right now and I enjoy it alot!

1. How does a nuclear reactor work?

A nuclear reactor works by using a controlled chain reaction to produce heat. This heat is then used to create steam, which turns a turbine and generates electricity.

2. What materials are used to construct a nuclear reactor?

Nuclear reactors are typically constructed using materials such as steel, concrete, and various types of alloys. These materials are chosen for their strength and ability to withstand high levels of heat and radiation.

3. How is nuclear fuel used in a reactor?

Nuclear fuel, typically in the form of uranium, is placed into the reactor core where it undergoes a controlled fission reaction. This reaction releases energy in the form of heat, which is then used to generate electricity.

4. What safety measures are in place to prevent accidents in nuclear reactors?

Nuclear reactors have numerous safety measures in place to prevent accidents, including redundant cooling systems, backup power supplies, and extensive training and protocols for operators. Additionally, reactors are designed with multiple layers of containment to prevent the release of radiation.

5. How is nuclear waste managed in nuclear reactors?

Nuclear waste is carefully managed and stored in specialized facilities. This waste is typically stored in containers that are designed to contain radiation, and can be stored on-site or transported to a designated disposal site, such as a permanent underground repository.