Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear Reactor Book

1. Jul 24, 2007 #1
    Does anyone here know of any books which teach how nuclear reactors work/are constructed?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2007 #2
    Introduction To Nuclear Engineering by Lamarsh is generally considered the introudtcory for nuclear engineering students. A more advanced book would be Nuclear reactor Analysis by Duderstadt and Hamilton.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  4. Jul 24, 2007 #3

Morbius

Science Advisor

NeoDevin,

What level of book do you want?

If you are a student of science and engineering, and have a good working knowledge
    of physics, engineering, differential equations, calculus.... then I would whole-heartedly
    second the recommendations of daveb. The texts by Lamarsh and Duderstadt & Hamilton
    are excellent.

However, if you are looking for elementary knowledge of how reactors work - more of
    a "layman's" view - then Lamarsh and Duderstadt & Hamilton which are textbooks for
    nuclear engineering students would not be what you want.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
    Physicist

5. Jul 24, 2007 #4
    Thanks Dave and Dr. Greenman.

I am a math physics major (undergrad), so something of that level is what I'm looking for. They cancelled the nuclear physics class next year (lack of enrollment), so I was hoping there would be some suggestions.

I'll go look for those two at the library.

Thanks again.

6. Jul 24, 2007 #5
    The lamarsh one, my library only has the '75 version.

The other one (Duderstadt & Hamilton) is '76.

Has the field changed much in the time since? Will I be missing anything by using the older versions?

7. Jul 24, 2007 #6

Morbius

Science Advisor

NeoDevin,

Those will be fine. Those books give you a good foundation in transport theory and its
    approximations.

There's nothing new in the "theory" of transport. It's like using Jackson for ElectroMagnetism.

The principles in Jackson haven't really changed since James Clerk Maxwell first
    derived his set of equations.

There have been advances in how to solve those equations via computer; but that's
    not what is covered in those texts.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
    Physicist

8. Jul 24, 2007 #7
    Ok, I picked up both of them at the library.

Thanks for the help guys.

9. Jul 24, 2007 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The core designers still use 2-group diffusion theory. The methods are better, but Lamarsh and Duderstadt & Hamilton are the standards.

Also, Weston Stacey (GaTech) has a decent book.

10. Jul 28, 2007 #9
    Im studying Lamarsh right now and I enjoy it alot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?