1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear reactor reaction

1. Mar 11, 2015 #1
    Can someone please explain to me why the answer to the following question is Krypton? A step by step solution would be ideal please!

(b)The following reaction occurs in a nuclear reactor:

235U+01n →141Ba+X+301n+202.5MeV
    (i) Identify the element X.

Many thanks!
    (Question is Q12 b part i from the 2010 Irish state physics exam http://examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2010/LC021ALP000EV.pdf [Broken] )

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2015 #2
    What do you know about the problem? What have you tried?

4. Mar 11, 2015 #3
    I initially took this approach;
    235 + 1 -141 -3(1) which is equal to 92. When I checked the answer this was incorrect. Then went down the route of converting the MeV to joules and subbing that value into the mass- energy equivalence formula in order to find the mass, and then using the unified atomic mass unit value (1.6605402x10^-27 kg) to try to find the element represented by the energy, at which point I got lost and have been unable to proceed further. Bear in mind I am 18 and studying for my Leaving Cert in Ireland (equivalent of SATs in US I think) so I am not at an advanced level

5. Mar 11, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Which number determines the chemical element?

6. Mar 11, 2015 #5
    Do you guys just reply with questions? :P But yes I realised earlier that atomic number was the way to go, wasn't thinking straight, over complicated it. Many thanks ✌️

7. Mar 11, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The idea is to help you to find the answer, and questions often work best.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted