Understanding Nuclear Rotation: Quantum Numbers and Wavefunctions

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of quantum numbers to describe the rotation of a nucleus, specifically J, M, and K. While in quantum mechanics, only J and M are needed to describe the rotor motion, the nucleus requires an additional quantum number, K, and uses different wavefunctions, the Weigner D functions. This is due to the nucleus being described as a rigid rotator, with an effective model and assumption of a symmetric top. The Landau and Lifshitz volume 3 chapter on multiatomic molecules provides a complete treatment of the rigid rotator.
kelly0303
Hello! I am a bit confused by the quantum numbers used to describe the rotation of a nucleus. In Wong's book these are J, M and K, which represent the rotational quantum number, its projection along the lab z-axis and its projection along the body intrinsic symmetry axis, respectively. However, as far as I remember from quantum mechanics, in describing the rotor motion (on which the nuclear rotation is based, at least as a first approximation), we needed just J and M in order to fully specify one of the sates of the system. Why do we need one extra number (the body frame projection of J) in the case of the nucleus. Moreover, the wavefunctions of the rotor were spherical harmonics, while for the nucleus they seem to be the Weigner D functions. Why do we have different quantum numbers and different wavefunctions, if the description of the nucleus is based on the rotor motion (here I am only talking about cylindrically symmetric nuclei). Here is a link to the nucleus rotation description that I mentioned (almost identical to Wong's). Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the quantum theory of a rigid rotator, if I understand your explanation right. It's an effective model, describing the nucleus as a rigid body and then quantize this problem. Obviously you also assume it's like a socalled symmetric top, i.e., components of the tensor of inertia in body-fixed coordinates, choosing a principle-axis body-fixed frame of reference, are ##\Theta=\mathrm{diag}(A,A,C)##. Then rotation around the body-fixed 3-axis is a symmetry and thus the corresponding angular-momentum component conserved.

For a complete treatment of the rigid rotator ("spinning top") see Landau and Lifshitz vol. 3 in the chapter on multiatomic molecules (in my German edition it's in paragraph 103).

1. What is a nuclear rotation wavefunction?

A nuclear rotation wavefunction is a mathematical representation of the rotational motion of a nucleus. It describes the spatial orientation and rotational energy of the nucleus in a molecule or atomic nucleus.

2. How is a nuclear rotation wavefunction different from an electronic wavefunction?

A nuclear rotation wavefunction is specific to the rotational motion of a nucleus, while an electronic wavefunction describes the spatial distribution of electrons in a molecule or atom.

3. What factors affect the shape of a nuclear rotation wavefunction?

The shape of a nuclear rotation wavefunction is influenced by the mass, shape, and angular momentum of the nucleus, as well as the interactions with other particles in the system.

4. How is a nuclear rotation wavefunction used in nuclear physics?

A nuclear rotation wavefunction is used to calculate the energy levels and properties of nuclear states, as well as to study the dynamics of nuclear reactions and decays.

5. Can a nuclear rotation wavefunction be experimentally observed?

No, a nuclear rotation wavefunction is a mathematical concept and cannot be directly observed. However, its effects can be observed through spectroscopic measurements and other experimental techniques.