Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear scattering

1. Feb 20, 2007 #1
    Hello

I have trouble understandig nuclear reactions. Does anyone know some good scattering applets on a potential(of arbitrary shape;not 1D).

I am interested also in discussing partial wave expansion. And if there exists an applet to show me how can I approximate a plane wave with spherical ones.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2007 #2
    Hy,

why do you concentrate on simulation applets ? You have a specific calculation goal ? MC simulations are usually quite heavy, thus it is uncommon to refer to them as "applet" :wink:

4. Feb 20, 2007 #3
    With an applet I can feel much better the physics.
    I found for example this simulation
    http://www.numathics.com/arens/scattering/ssObst.html

The actual calculation is done with DWBA, but in order to understand how DWBA works I must have a physical intuition prepared.

5. Feb 20, 2007 #4
    Oh yes, I agree that applets are very convenient to get a physical sens of what is going on. In the case of optics/electromagntism (which I am not an expert) the equations are failry simple and fast applets can be written down. But in the case of many-body nuclear interactions, I do not expect that you will find such an applet. I might be wrong, and I am aware of being of very little help :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?