1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear Shells and angular momentum?

1. Nov 12, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    I have a bismuth Bi-209 nucleus, and I have to find the angular momentum of the one nucleon outside the full shells, and hence find the spin of this nucleus as a whole.

What I said was that it has 83 protons and 209-83 = 126 neutrons, and since 82 and 126 are magic numbers, there is a full shell of neutrons. This means the extra proton outside the full shell of protons corresponding to the magic number of 82 is the nucleon this question deals with.

I then said that this extra proton must determine the spin of the nucleus as a whole, since the paired neutrons and paired protons all cancel each others' spins.

Now for the angular momentum, j = l + s.
    I can get the spin if I know j and l, the total and orbital angular momenta respectively.

The orbital angular momentum I can get from [tex] L = \sqrt{l(l+1)}\hbar[/tex]
    but then I have to know what the orbital angular momentum quantum number l is.

I looked at an energy level diagram in my notes that appears to show the magic number 82 occurring at the 1h11/2 energy level, meaning that, from
    ....s p d f g h
    l : 0 1 2 3 4 5
    I have l=5, so I know the magnitude of this proton's angular momentum.

First off, I was wondering, is there some way I could have deduced that l=5 without looking at the diagram, like say, if I was in an exam?

Secondly, I'm not sure where I go from here. I have the orbital angular momentum since I have l=5, but I do not have the total angular momentum, so how do I find out what the spin is?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted