Nuclear spin of Fluorine 19

• Thread starter Clear Mind
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I was trying to calculate the ##^{19}_{9}F_{10}## nuclear spin using the nuclear shell method. From what i know the nuclear spin for a nucleous with odd ##A## is the total angular momentum ##J## of the stand-alone nucleon:
P: ##(1d_{5 \backslash 2})^1## (stand-alone nucleon)
N: ##(1d_{5 \backslash 2})^2##
which in this case is a proton with ##J=\frac{5}{2}## so it leads to a nuclear spin of ##I=\frac{5}{2}##. But this isn't what i found in lecture, from the pdg (http://ie.lbl.gov/toi/nuclide.asp?iZA=90019) ##^{19}_{9}F_{10}## result to have ##I=\frac{1}{2}##.
I missed something?

Answers and Replies

ChrisVer
Gold Member
Your filling is incorrect.
You have 9 protons and 10 neutrons. Well no need to care about the neutrons, since they will pile up into pairs together (even number). From the protons you will have 1 extra remaining unpaired. You will fill until [itex]1d_{5/2} [itex]. So your nucleus spin will be determined by the unpaired proton, the proton has spin 1/2 so 1/2 is the spin of your nucleus...
Sometimes things are mixed with J, S in nuclear physics, calling both of them "spins". The total angular momentum is indeed 5/2, the spin is 1/2.

Last edited:
Your filling is incorrect.
You have 9 protons and 10 neutrons. Well no need to care about the neutrons, since they will pile up into pairs together (even number). From the protons you will have 1 extra remaining unpaired. You will fill until [itex]1d_{5/2} [itex]. So your nucleus spin will be determined by the unpaired proton, the proton has spin 1/2 so 1/2 is the spin of your nucleus...
Sometimes things are mixed with J, S in nuclear physics, calling both of them "spins". The total angular momentum is indeed 5/2, the spin is 1/2.
My apologies but i'm not understanfding what you mean, for example take the ##^{43}_{21}Sc_{22}##. It have 22 neutron (so we don't need to care about), and 21 proton which are filled until ##1f_{7 \backslash 2}##. There's only one proton unpaired so nuclear spin ##I## should be ##\frac{1}{2}## (equal to the spin of the proton) but is ##I=\frac{7}{2}## (always from pdg http://ie.lbl.gov/toi/nuclide.asp?iZA=210043)

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
I don't understand what either of you is saying. 19F can be modeled as an 18O plus a proton. 18O is 0+, so 19F is 1/2+.

have you failed to recognize the difference between net spin and total magnetic moment?