Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear spin of Fluorine 19

1. Feb 4, 2015 #1
    I was trying to calculate the ##^{19}_{9}F_{10}## nuclear spin using the nuclear shell method. From what i know the nuclear spin for a nucleous with odd ##A## is the total angular momentum ##J## of the stand-alone nucleon:
    P: ##(1d_{5 \backslash 2})^1## (stand-alone nucleon)
    N: ##(1d_{5 \backslash 2})^2##
    which in this case is a proton with ##J=\frac{5}{2}## so it leads to a nuclear spin of ##I=\frac{5}{2}##. But this isn't what i found in lecture, from the pdg (http://ie.lbl.gov/toi/nuclide.asp?iZA=90019) ##^{19}_{9}F_{10}## result to have ##I=\frac{1}{2}##.
    I missed something?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2015 #2

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Your filling is incorrect.
    You have 9 protons and 10 neutrons. Well no need to care about the neutrons, since they will pile up into pairs together (even number). From the protons you will have 1 extra remaining unpaired. You will fill until [itex]1d_{5/2} [itex]. So your nucleus spin will be determined by the unpaired proton, the proton has spin 1/2 so 1/2 is the spin of your nucleus...
    Sometimes things are mixed with J, S in nuclear physics, calling both of them "spins". The total angular momentum is indeed 5/2, the spin is 1/2.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  4. Feb 4, 2015 #3
    My apologies but i'm not understanfding what you mean, for example take the ##^{43}_{21}Sc_{22}##. It have 22 neutron (so we don't need to care about), and 21 proton which are filled until ##1f_{7 \backslash 2}##. There's only one proton unpaired so nuclear spin ##I## should be ##\frac{1}{2}## (equal to the spin of the proton) but is ##I=\frac{7}{2}## (always from pdg http://ie.lbl.gov/toi/nuclide.asp?iZA=210043)

5. Feb 4, 2015 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't understand what either of you is saying. 19F can be modeled as an 18O plus a proton. 18O is 0+, so 19F is 1/2+.

6. Sep 20, 2015 #5
    have you failed to recognize the difference between net spin and total magnetic moment?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook