Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear War

1. Mar 20, 2005 #1
    Hi there,
    I am currently trying to write an essay on "Was the cuban missile crisis the closest the world ever came to nuclear war?"

I was hoping you crazy cats could suggest other minor or major historical conflicts......

I already have the Quemoy-Matsu crisis and the India-Pakistan ones.

Thanks in anticipation!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2005 #2
    Suez Canal Crisis (my personal favourite), Falkland War, Vietnam War, Korean War, Any of the Israeli Wars.
    Any of those conflicts could have easily escalated to another world war.

4. Mar 20, 2005 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Um, first of all: no. Second, the question was about nuclear war.

AFAIK, besides the US and the USSR and India and Pakistan recently, there haven't been any two other nuclear countries in conflict with each other.

5. Mar 20, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

If you want to get REALLY technical... what about that polish satellite launch that the russians thougth was a nuclear attack by the US? Thats what i call a close call. But the cuban missile crisis was probably the closest major conflict to bring us to nuclear war. I wish (or well... no i dont lol) i was around in those days. To think someone had to balls to put nuclear missiles a few dozen miles off the US coast line and then to think our presidents reaction was "attack us and we will nuke you back to the stone age". Those people had some freaken balls... both of them.

6. Mar 20, 2005 #5

Danger

Gold Member

As with the satellite launch, there have been several near-misses with NORAD. BMEWS
    and DEW line tracking stations have reported anything from geese to the sunrise as incoming warheads. They have to do some pretty fast decision-making.

7. Mar 20, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Thats always a pleasent thought. We need to go fix up Russia and make it into a real democracy and a real capitalist nation so itd be easier for us to get rid of most of these nuclear missiles. Get the relationship down to something like the US and Germany... sure we've had our difference... sometimes we get mad at eachother... but no ones launching missiles at eachother or declaring war or anything like that. Of course the idea of total nuclear mismantlement is foolish though so im not advocating that. Give eachother like, 30... no screw it, just use subs... or well that wouldnt work. Screw it, someone hit us with an asteroid.

8. Mar 20, 2005 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never know when you're being serious or not!

9. Mar 20, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Im being serious.... but you cant tell me they have a REAL democracy or a true capitalist system there. And when i said get rid of the missiles... that was in hopes of allowing the US to reduce its forces too (wow thatd save some sweet cash).

10. Mar 20, 2005 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Unfortunately, I think the most serious hazard is from wild cards. Any nut job with a few million bucks and the right connections can get surplus stuff. Not only would it be delivered in a less detectable manner (probably boat), but it could trigger something more serious if used. I don't know if it ever got operational or not (I certainly hope not), but there were plans a long time ago to set up a satellite system that would automatically launch a retaliatory strike if it detected the gamma flash from a nuke going off.

11. Mar 20, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

No that system never went into actual operation. I believe one of hte reasons (besides its absoltely insane) was that the system could accidently detect gamma rays that occoured naturally. But yah, i think there was a period of time where countries were tryen to make automated retaliatory strikes... until they realized they dont want to automate the death of millions of people lol.

But yah, that is the greatest probable hazard to us but hey, if you can get rid of the slightest possibility of a few billion people dieing in a few hours and save a bunch of money, im for it :)

12. Mar 20, 2005 #11
    The USA isn't a REAL democracy or a true capitalist system either.

13. Mar 21, 2005 #12
    Thanks for your responses guys they've been most helpful!

14. Mar 21, 2005 #13

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks for the reassurance. I don't worry about much of anything, but that sucker was downright frightening. (Can someone add a sticky for profound relief to the menu?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?