1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nucleation on a substrate

1. May 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cylindrical pill-like solid cluster of radius r nucleates from the vapor phase on a dislocation that emerges from the substrate. The free-energy change per unit thickness is given by
    [tex] \Delta G = \pi r^2 \Delta G_v + 2 \pi r \gamma + A - B lnr [/tex]
    Where [tex] A - Blnr [/tex] represents the dislocation energy within the cluster.

a) Sketch ## \Delta G ## vs ## r ##
    b) Determine the value of r*
    c) Show that when ## | \Delta G_v | B / \pi \gamma^2 > 1/2 ##, ## \Delta G_v ## monotonically decreases with r, and when ## | \Delta G_v | B / \pi \gamma^2 < 1/2 ##, there is a turnaround in the ## \Delta G ## vs ## r ## curve.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For r*, I got [tex] r* = \frac{-2 \pi \gamma \pm \sqrt{4 \pi^2 \gamma^2 + 8 \pi \Delta G_v B}}{4 \pi \Delta G_v} [/tex]

I don't exactly know how to plot ## \Delta G ## vs ## r ## for this heterogenous nucleation with the natural log function in there. I also don't really understand part c, but I think that's because I have part b wrong. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2015 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

It is not clear how you arrived at this. What happened to the ##lnr## from your top equation? How does r* differ from r?

I don't know about the physics in this question, but looking at the maths you can take a factor outside the radical:

[tex]r*=\frac{ -2 \pi \gamma \pm 2\pi\gamma\sqrt{1 + \dfrac{2\Delta G_v B} {\pi\gamma^2}}} {4 \pi \Delta G_v} [/tex]

4. May 5, 2015 #3
    To find the critical radius, you take [tex] \frac{ d\Delta G}{dr} = 0 [/tex] and solve for r. The reason that I am concerned is due to the fact other solutions that I have found (homogeneous nucleation) are much more simple.

5. May 5, 2015 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Your first equation shows ΔG in terms of r2 and r. If you differentiate this to find dΔG/dr the result won't contain an r2 term.

6. May 5, 2015 #5
    Right, but I multiplied through by r to get rid of the 1/r that comes from differentiating the ln term.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted