Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclei Shell Energy

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1
    In the nuclei Shell Model I understand the nomenclature for the shell sequence but I don’t know how to calculate the respective energy levels for each shell.

For example how do you calculate the energy level for
    1g(7/2) or 3d(5/2)

Pointing me to an online reference will also be helpful. However, I have not learned bra-kets or Hamiltonian math yet.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what is Hamiltonian math? :-p

The energy levels are different for different nuclei, you first take an approriate form of the central potential (V_c), e.g Wood Saxon.

Then you that the potential includes an [tex]\vec{l}\cdot \vec{s}[/tex] term (spin-orbit coupling), your potential is thus:

V(r) = V_c(r) + V_{ls} \vec{l}\cdot \vec{s}

where, of course:

[tex]V_{ls} = const. \dfrac{1}{r}\dfrac{\partial}{\partial r} [/tex]

Then you take your nuclei, find the excited levels and their energies, fit to the parameters of the V_c and starts to solve the Schrödinger equation (nummerically), and thus you obtain all the energies.

This is a VERY sketchy idea how to do it, Nuclear many body physics is quite complicated..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?