• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Nucleophilic substitution question!

1. Homework Statement

I have these compounds, and I have to predict which one will undergo unimolecular substitution reaction the fastest. And which one will undergo it the slowest.

3 bromo cyclohexene
1 bromo cyclohexene
4 bromo cyclohexene
2 bromo hexane (not cyclohexane/ene)
The solvent is a combination of Ethanol and Silver Nitrate.

So I'm definately sure this reaction will proceed SN1. I am also unsure of this: what causes the leaving group to leave in a SN1 reaction? . I know a good leaving group is stable because it's large. And in SN2 a leaving group 'leaves' because you have a backside attack by a nucleophile.

2. Homework Equations

None.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Fastest: I'm guessing 2 bromo hexane will react the fastest, because when you get it's carbocation, the carbon bearing that cation is 2* substituted.

The rest: I'm not sure about the others. You get a cycloalkene carbocation in each one. But they all have six carbons. They all seem to be 2* substitued.

Answers and Replies

Don't forget resonance, which can confer additional stability to carbocations. This effect is often stronger than that of substitution.

It is an Sn1 reaction, and one that is frequently used in labs. Leaving groups are usually substituents on a molecule that benefit less from being a substituent than just taking the electrons from the bond and becoming independent. For example, -OH is a bad leaving group because if it detaches from the molecule, it takes the electrons from the bond to create a hydroxide ion, which is very unstable (quick to react with something), so it would rather stay put. -OH2+, on the other hand, is a good leaving group because it will become H20, which is much more stable.