1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nucleus decay

1. Oct 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A nucleus decays into two channels with probabilities 0.62 and 0.38, respectively. Its lifeime is 20 hours. What are the decay rates into each of these channels?

2. Relevant equations
    If there is only one channel of decay, the decay can be described by the formula:
    where N is a number of nuclei which didn't decay after time t, N0 is the total number of nuclei and T is decay rate.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure, if the following formula is correct:
    N=N0*(0.62*exp(-t/T1)+0.38*exp(-t/T2)), where T1 and T2 are the variables I want to find.
    If it's correct, then later should I write:
    N=N0*exp(-t/T), where T is 20 hours?
    But then I think I don't have enough information to solve it, as I have in fact one equation and two variables.
    How to solve this problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2008 #2
    its lifetime is 20 hours? you mean halflife?
  4. Oct 10, 2008 #3
    I mean that after 20 hours N=N0/e.
  5. Oct 10, 2008 #4
    so after 1 unit of time n0-n0/e nuclei decay. 0.62 of those are one channel. and 0.38 are the other

n0-n0/e = n0(1-1/e)
  6. Oct 10, 2008 #5
    does 'decay rate'=lifetime?
  7. Oct 10, 2008 #6
    yes, that's what I mean.
  8. Oct 10, 2008 #7
    considering only one decay route:
    after 20 hours you are left with what fraction of the total?

its late. I've already taken my sleeping pill. you may have to finish this yourself.
  9. Oct 10, 2008 #8
    I'm not sure its that simple. you need to determine the number that have decayed at any one time due to one channel. thats easy. then differentiate to get the rate. then divide the rate by the number of nuclei left at that time.

does that sound right to you?
  10. Oct 10, 2008 #9
    Well. I'm not sure yet. Thank You any way.
  11. Oct 10, 2008 #10
    or just determine the rate at t=0
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?