1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nucleus shell-model problem

1. Apr 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The low-lying levels of C-13 are ground state, [tex]\frac{1^-}{2}[/tex]; 3,09 MeV, [tex]\frac{1^+}{2}[/tex]; 3,68 MeV, [tex]\frac{3^-}{2}[/tex]; 3,85 MeV, [tex]\frac{5^+}{2}[/tex]. Interpret these four states according to the shell model.

2. Relevant equations

Negative parity --> [tex]\ell[/tex] = odd; the valence nucleon must occupy a level with the spectroscopic symbol p, f, h etc.
    Positive parity --> [tex]\ell[/tex] = even; the valence nucleon must occupy a level with the spectr. symbol s, d, g etc.

3. The attempt at a solution

In the ground state, the 7th neutron must be in the [tex]1p_{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] level. All levels below are filled.

In the first excited state, that is, the [tex]\frac{1^+}{2}[/tex] state, I think the 7th neutron is excited from the [tex]1p_{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] level to the [tex]2s_{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] level. The remaining neutrons occupy the same levels as in the ground state.

In the [tex]\frac{3^-}{2}[/tex] state, one of the two pairs in the [tex]1p_{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex] level is broken, and a neutron is excited to the [tex]1p_{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] level, where it forms a pair with the former valence neutron. The remaining neutrons occupy the same levels as in the ground state.

In the [tex]\frac{5^+}{2}[/tex] state, the single neutron in the [tex]1p_{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] level is excited to the [tex]1d_{\frac{5}{2}}[/tex] level. The remaining neutrons occupy the same levels as in the ground state.

Is this correct? Do I seem to understand the shell-model somewhat?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2007 #2
  4. Apr 6, 2007 #3
    looks good to me
    p.s. this is new to me too

5. Apr 6, 2007 #4
    I hope we're right then. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?