Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuke Eng France or America

  1. Feb 16, 2010 #1
    Hey, I was just looking for people's feedback.

    I've completed a Bachelors in Engineering Physics (Canada) and a Masters in Subatomic Physics (France -research oriented, was originally leaning towards particle physics research not anymore).

    Needless to say theyres basically no nuclear jobs to look for in Canada as the Feds have put them on the chopping board.

    So, I've been applying abroad for awhile and basically getting no responses from american nuclear companies (I took a strong nuclear component in my Eng degree: reactors, monte carlo etc). I've had a few interviews with areva france, but ultimately they reject me as I have no direct nuclear experience. I am fully fluent in French. I'm guessing that I'm not getting the american ones as they prefer american citizens.

    So, I'm now looking at Nuclear Eng Master's abroad, I've got my eyes on a specific one in France (INSTN) but I also keep thinking that maybe an American one would be good. It is my home continent and maybe I would eventaully tire of beaing abroad (I don't really consider Canada to America as being abroad). And nuclear looks like it's finally back on the upswing in the States.

    I very much like the French culture and being surrounded by other cultures. I feel I should do this Master's in the country I intend to work in. I've no intention of doing a PhD. I see myself working for someone like westinghouse or areva or ge in reactor core design.

    Any thoughts?

    If I did a Master's in the states would I still face major barriers by my lacking citizenship?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2010 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    Toshiba/Westinghouse, AREVA-US and GEH/GNF are essentially it in the US.

    Of course, one could look into CEA or EdF if one remains in France, or GDF-Suez (Tractabel) in Belgium.

    Studsvik Scandpower would be another possibility if one is interested in reactor physics. Studsvik is the main independent in core montoring and analysis.

    One's citizenship should not be a problem.
  4. Feb 17, 2010 #3
    I'm not sure that nuclear engineering jobs are dead in Canada, although the future of AECL is uncertain. You might consider applying to one of the regulators instead, especially since you are bilingual.
  5. Feb 18, 2010 #4
    Nay, I've been looking consistently at the CNSC (the Canadian regulator). They never have any entry level jobs. And ya having bilingualism should be a huge boon for that.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook