Nuke Minor: Can I Work at NPP w/ Math Degree?

• Programs
  • Thread starter questionmenow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minor Nuke
In summary: There is always a better solution, but getting a masters in NE can definitely help increase your chances of finding a job in nuclear engineering.
questionmenow
If I major in math and minor in nuclear engineering. Can I work at a npp still? I would like to get a math degree rather than nuke degree just in case I want to work in the math field(no teaching).

Physics news on Phys.org
Work in commercial npp look remote. You can have possibility of working in research reactor (but most of these are educational institutes). You develop your speciality in nuclear codes.

So there is not much work in npp anymore? I understand the EE and ME can be employed at npp but I wasn't sure about someone with a math major and nuke minor.

Yes, you can get a job. First off, there are more than engineers at nuclear power plants. Like any other business, it requires different areas of expertise. Further, with a masters in NE and bachelors in math, you can get a job as a nuclear engineer. Is it as easy as if you had a bachelors + masters in nuclear engineering? No, but it's still possible.

questionmenow said:
So there is not much work in npp anymore? I understand the EE and ME can be employed at npp but I wasn't sure about someone with a math major and nuke minor.

Still plenty of work out there. It isn't the largest field in engineering for sure, but it's there, and possibly growing. An EE, ME, CE, IT, admin, etc. etc. can all gets jobs for a nuclear power company. Here's what I found with a quick google search: https://www.nukeworker.com/job/view.php?job_id=47132&type=search&auth_sess=04gof49ev7i93u7rb4qhhd86s4&ref=34b15b337f7b5cce43722403b

Education doesn't specify an engineering degree, and the experience could probably be waived with a masters. One thing that comes to mind, is you need to be prepared to move for a job.

But why not just get a education in engineering, if you want to be an engineer?

I would either like to be a mathematician or a nuclear engineer (not sure which yet). I figured if I got a BS in math and minor in NE that would be good enough for to swing both provided I change my mind. Other engineering fields do interest me as much as NE. Do you thing there might be a better solution maybe?

1. Can I work at a nuclear power plant with a math degree?

Yes, you can work at a nuclear power plant with a math degree. Many roles within a nuclear power plant require a strong understanding of mathematics, including reactor design, safety analysis, and radiation protection.

2. What type of job can I get at a nuclear power plant with a math degree?

With a math degree, you can work in various positions at a nuclear power plant, such as a reactor engineer, nuclear physicist, or radiation health physicist. You can also work in support roles, such as operations, maintenance, and quality control.

3. Do I need any additional training to work at a nuclear power plant with a math degree?

Additional training may be required depending on the specific role you are applying for. Some positions may require specific certifications or licenses, while others may provide on-the-job training. It is recommended to research the specific requirements for the job you are interested in.

4. What skills are necessary for working at a nuclear power plant with a math degree?

To work at a nuclear power plant with a math degree, you should have a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and principles, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. You should also have a strong attention to detail and the ability to work in a team environment.

5. Are there any specific courses I should take in my math degree to prepare for working at a nuclear power plant?

While there are no specific courses required, it is recommended to take courses in calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. These courses will provide a strong foundation for understanding the complex mathematical models and equations used in the nuclear energy industry.