1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Null hypothesis question

1. Feb 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A manufacturing company produces water filters for home refrigerators. The process has typically produced about 4% defective. A recently designed experiment has led to changing the seal to reduce defects. With the process running using the new seal, a random sample of 300 filters yielded 7 defects.

2. Relevant equations

H0: null hypothesis
    H1: alternative hypothesis

3. The attempt at a solution

H0: p not equal to 7/300?
    H1: p=7/300?

I have looked up examples of null hypothesis but I am not sure how to apply it to this problem.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The null hypothesis should involve the population statistic, not the observed sample statistic.

So your null hypothesis should be H0: p = .04

Can you infer from the problem statement what the alternate hypothesis should be?

4. Feb 18, 2013 #3
    would it be H1: p ≠ .04?

5. Feb 18, 2013 #4

Mark44

No.
    What does this suggest to you?

6. Feb 18, 2013 #5
    H1: p < .04?

7. Feb 18, 2013 #6

Mark44

Yes. In ordinary language, the null hypothesis is: The new seal makes no difference. The alternate hypothesis is: The new seal reduces the defect rate.

8. Feb 18, 2013 #7
    Okay, I got that the test statistic is -1.5 by doing Z=(.023-.04)/sqrt(.04*.96/300) is this correct? And how would I find the critical value at a .05 level of significance? By the way thank you so much for all the help.

9. Feb 18, 2013 #8

Mark44

What you got looks OK to me.

To find the critical value, look in a table of the standard normal distribution for the number in the table that is closest to 0.9500, and read off the z value for that probability. What this is telling you is P(Z < something) = .9500. That "something" will be a positive value. What you want for your critical value is -<something>, the value such that P(Z < -(something)) = .0500.

It helps to draw a sketch of the standard normal (Z) distribution, and recognize that it has symmetry across the vertical axis.

10. Feb 18, 2013 #9
    Okay my table has Z.005=1.645 so I would use -1.645 for my critical value I believe? and the final part of this question which I am unsure about it is I need the p value which I know is the probability of getting the sample results.

11. Feb 18, 2013 #10

Mark44

Before, you said at the .05 level. Is the above a typo or did you look at the wrong value?

12. Feb 18, 2013 #11
    yes sorry I meant .05 not .005

13. Feb 18, 2013 #12

Mark44

I corrected the .005 that you had.
    Yes.
    So if Z < -1.645, you would accept the alternate hypothesis.

In your earlier calculation, you got Z = -1.5.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook